Strange movement of legs in dog, any ideas?

(8 Posts)
strongswans Sun 17-Apr-16 17:14:20

Can anyone give me any clue here please? I have the vets number ready incase it happens again and am going to take him first thing. Dog is an 18 month old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, he was sleeping on the stairs, as it happens I was taking a photo as our puppy was asleep a few stairs down too. Suddenly he stood up and his front right paw came to his mouth, its very hard to describe the leg looked like it was in spasm, moving forward and backward, this then switched to the back left leg, I started videoing so I could show a vet (ingrained in me as DS has Epilepsy) he then nearly fell so I picked him up and placed him on his bed, his heart rate was racing. this carried on with the legs, nearly falling again, he then just laid down and slept. The puppy tried to play but he wouldn't budge, I moved her away as clearly bothering him. He has since walked to the door when ds came in, walk was normal, but ds is in the garden with friends, dog would normally be out there bounding about but he is asleep on the sofa with me. As I said will get him to the vet first thing with the video unless it happens again and am keeping a very close eye on him. Very worried and just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas/experiences?

strongswans Sun 17-Apr-16 18:53:05

I spoke to the out of hours vet who said maybe a seizure. Watch him closely and get an appt tomorrow. They will see him tonight if it happens again or for longer. He's back to himself now, eating, drinking and running about. Poor boy

AnUtterIdiot Sun 17-Apr-16 21:21:05

It sounds like seizures - not much you can do apart from keep an eye on him. I had an epileptic dog who was quite happy on medication so I wouldn't be too down about it.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 17-Apr-16 21:25:47

my dog did this after a fall. only happened once and he fully recovered afterwards

strongswans Sun 17-Apr-16 21:30:49

Thank you. I'm not to worried just want to know what it is really! Hopefully it's a one off. Funnily enough my ds has epilepsy so seizures aren't to scary here!

Fractiousfractions Sun 17-Apr-16 21:40:54

Nothing like this I hope? cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm

There are also videos on you tube. Fingers crossed it's nothing sinister at all. They do like do worry us don't they.

strongswans Mon 18-Apr-16 19:09:24

Fractious Thank you for that link, unfortunately it does sound like that! The back arching is exactly what he did, like a cat, and didn't loose consciousness so knew exactly what happened! Spoke to the vets this morning and they will see him on Friday, if he gets worse they will see him before but said to keep a record of anything! Just frustrating as want someone to watch the video and see what they think.

Fractiousfractions Tue 19-Apr-16 08:44:55

It's a shame you can't email it to them or something. I really hope it's just one of those random odd things dog do occasionally. Good luck with the vet on Friday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now