My puppy has been eating snails and now I am worried!!

(6 Posts)
DannyOD Tue 12-Apr-16 09:22:11

Every time she goes out into the garden for toilet training she seems to find one. I have been trying to get them off her but she crunches the up before I can get them out!! I have just been reading about Lungworm and now I am worried. What should I do and how can I stop her eating the little blighters!!

samk15 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:11:55

Make sure that she is regularly treated for worms ( including lungworms as not all wormers do) preferably a wormer bought from your vet. You may have to go out in the garden before she goes and do a 'snail patrol' for the time being. Sounds like it's a bit of a game for her at the moment so the trick is is to make yourself more exciting than the 'game ' So using a favourite toy or a small treat to distract her is a good place to start. Longer term use positive reinforcement ie: maybe use the word 'leave' when she is near a snail and if she does, give her a treat. You could also look into clicker training.

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Tue 12-Apr-16 19:47:32

My asshole dog trained me to give him treats by loudly chewing snails, so I have to offer him a treat for him to spit out the snail.

<helpful>

samk15 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:31:18

Haha that's hilarious ....they are bloody masters at training us! grin

tinymeteor Fri 15-Apr-16 16:59:45

Ours did that as a puppy but grew out of it once he's finished teething. I think he likes the crunch confused

Treat for lungworm - we use Advocate for parasite control which covers lung and heart worm. And maybe give some good crunchy treats so she can get her kicks in a healthier way.

lljkk Fri 15-Apr-16 17:03:00

Gawd dogs are gross (not as gross as cats I grant you).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now