Training puppy advice please

(11 Posts)
ididntsignupforthis1 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:49:10

Got a 4 month old puppy and have started training classes (been to 2)
She has been good at some things but very bouncy and not very focused toward the end.
I've tried to practice at home, with mixed success - sometimes she isn't interested at all in the treats.
The big problem is when going outside!
On the lead she is pulling, and if I try the treat in front of her nose to 'heel' and to get her attention on me - she isn't interested - the wide world is much more exciting.
At the park today she was on a longer lead to allow sniffing etc and she was bouncing round like a kangaroo and pulling still.
Any tips?

Pogmella Wed 06-Apr-16 08:12:28

What are you treating with? Our 4mo cocker is pretty good at heel walking (started training from day 3 though as it was the worst thing about our last dog) but she needs her fave sausages to keep her focussed at the park- usually we train with dry biscuit and cheese so the sausage is high value.

ididntsignupforthis1 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:11:33

Have tried hot dog, dried bits of chicken, purchased treats.
If they do it then lose interest how do you deal with this?
Ie heel for 10 second then pull for example?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Wed 06-Apr-16 09:31:06

Have you tried one step, treat, two steps, treat, three steps, treat etc etc (I think if you google 300 peck you'll get a more detailed description) then start rewarding randomly so sometimes he'll get two rewards in a row sometimes he has to work harder but make it unpredictable for him

Also have you tried using something other than food - my dog's highest value reward is a ball - he will walk beautifully to heel for much longer when focusing on a ball than on food

Pogmella Wed 06-Apr-16 17:21:06

I treat her like crazy at the start of the walk to remind her what's expected (we might get through a 3rd of the allocated treats before the end of the road), then if she pulls I stop and don't move until we've got eye contact. Also mixing up the treats, a cup with sausage, cheese, carrot, dry kibble to keep her on her toes. Also I try to walk quite briskly to make her have to pay attention and keep up. Our dog trainer suggested taking toys on her walks as she gets older to reinforce that we're more interesting than anything else?

Pogmella Wed 06-Apr-16 17:46:33

Oh- and her walks are before her meals, so she's peckish to hungry!

ididntsignupforthis1 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:55

Will report back!

ididntsignupforthis1 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:33:45

If you don't move until you have eye contact how does sniffing and going to the toilet work? (sorry to be thick)
Also I don't think I would get very far!

Pogmella Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:08

She might pull for a bit at a really exciting smell but because we've done it a lot she knows now we're not shifting and corrects herself in a second or two. At the start, it did mean a lot of standing with a straining dog for a minute or so (looking odd!) while she figured it out. Loads of over the top praise and a brisk march when she did look round. Also I try and anticipate stuff that might distract her and say her name/get eye contact as we approach cyclists etc (doesn't always work and some people don't help as she is v.cute...)

TheDogsCat Thu 07-Apr-16 04:19:26

The most important thing with lead training is consistency. I don't use treats to train this. The reward for loose lead is getting to move forward, sniff etc. The method I used comes from Sue Ailsby's training levels (free evil available online). The idea is that the dog doesn't get to move forward unless the lead is loose. Ever. This means a lot of standing still till she settles. I started lead training indoors in the bathroom (most boring room I could find). That way there was no distractions. Until she's got the hang of it id suggest either not using on-lead walks for exercise or using a different piece of equipment for walks. Eg. Collar and lead for teaching loose lead, harness and lead for toileting etc when you don't have time to focus on loose lead.

Booboostwo Thu 07-Apr-16 14:55:15

I was taught to stand until the dog made eye contact, praise, turn about and move off to a new direction. You don't get to go anywhere for a few weeks but it does work in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now