Should we be worried - dog dodgy tummy

(7 Posts)
Whyissheontheship Tue 05-Apr-16 22:37:13

Our dog has had bad bowels for about 24 hours. He seemed OK (other than needing the toilet every hour or so) and had energy was eating rice and scrambled egg and drinking water fine etc.

He hasn't had an episode for about 12 hours so I thought he was on the mend but he is a little whiny and 'off' this evening and he hasn't done a normal poop yet. Am I being a worry wart or should I be concerned?

Whyissheontheship Wed 06-Apr-16 11:37:40

He just had another bout of diarrhoea, is definately acting strange and is now off his food.

Got a vets appointment for this afternoon, poor boy!

ChairRider4 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:27:47

Oh no hope appointment goes well

CheeseGerm Wed 06-Apr-16 16:35:13

My dog has similar bouts and we had many vets appointments before it was finally decided he has colitis. He can go anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks with symptoms like you've described. His is caused by stress but we went through a long period of testing foods to see what worked best for him. We make sure he drinks often and he has chicken/turkey/ham with rice and some sort of veg like butternut squash/peas/sweet potato and we often have to spoon feed him when it gets particularly bad.

Hope your appointment goes well and he's feeling better soon!

punter Wed 06-Apr-16 18:03:12

Hope your appointment goes well and he does not have to spend as much time as punter lab at the vets! Fingers crossed it is straightforward for him.

Whyissheontheship Wed 06-Apr-16 23:52:07

Vet said he has food poisoning (or the dog equivalent). He was a bit dehydrated so we were given rehydration solution, anti-sickness, Imodium and antibiotics and told to feed him plain food for a week or two. He is still not himself and doesn't want food, but drank the rehydration solution fine. We had to force him to swallow his tablets, he was not happy about it, looking very sorry for himself. Poor thing needs to ride it out I think. I'm reassured the vet thinks it's nothing serious.

CheeseGerm Thu 07-Apr-16 13:19:35

Bless him, hope he gets better soon! It's amazing how sorry they can feel for themselves. I have a ball made from a foamy/cloth type material that soaks up water for my dog and it works a treat at getting some water in him even when he's being miserable and stubborn. He'll sit there and lick away at the ball for ages but won't dare take a drink from his bowl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now