Labrador puppies cost

(6 Posts)
Bambooshoots14 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:51:19

Looking to get a Labrador puppy and wasn't too sure where to start looking so have been looking online.

Have found a KC registered puppy for £800, is this reasonable?

I am not concerned about the pedigree although would like a view on health issues etc

Whitney168 Fri 01-Apr-16 13:33:12

That price sounds in the right ballpark, but any price (high or low) is wrong unless the parents are BOTH hip scored, elbow scored and eye tested. (Eye tests may be DNA tests or clinical tests.)

The Labrador club list more info on health tests here:

www.thelabradorretrieverclub.com/health.htm

Hip scores are graded from 0 to 106 - 0 is perfect, 106 is horrendous, so you want the lower the better (ideally both parents below 10 for TOTAL score - which may show as something like 5/5 - but for a pet I'd give that a bit of leeway).

Elbows are graded 0 to 3 on each side - I think you ideally want 0, but not above 1.

Eye tests are explained in more detail on the link given.

You buy a dog to be part of your family for hopefully 15 years or so, so take your time to find the right one.

Champdogs is normally a fairly decent place to start looking for pups.

Bambooshoots14 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:10:48

Thank you. I've ever only had rescues before so £800 just sounded so expensive!

They said
Both parents have low hip scores, 0/0 elbows, clear eyes and are PRA clear so are fully health tested.

tabulahrasa Fri 01-Apr-16 21:33:28

PRA DNA tested clear? Or just not affected?

Bambooshoots14 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:58:42

He's home smile

stilllovingmysleep Sat 02-Apr-16 06:58:44

Bambooshoots14, aaaaahhhh he's gorgeous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now