Does your dog have a naughty hour in the day?

(19 Posts)
TheRegularShow Sat 26-Mar-16 20:57:49

Just wondering if anyone else's dog has a certain time of day when they get naughty for a bit?
For some unknown reason my dog has a certain time of day after he has been fed and walked and decides to prat about.

He charges about running up and down , dives on and off stuff knocking things over, starts digging the carpet.
It's like a cry for attention but he has been out, fed and played with.
It's every night around 6

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 26-Mar-16 21:29:53

Ah yes ... It's the witching hour ... Ours used to be manic around 7 - it was because he was overtired. We'd pop him into his crate with a Kong and cover it with a blanket and he'd conk out in no time

He's not done it for months and months now - it's definitely something they grow out of

JustBeingJuliet Sat 26-Mar-16 23:20:30

My ddog is 8 in a few weeks and still has a mad half hour most days, sorry! Majority of the time, I forget I've even got her, she's so quiet, but then she'll suddenly dive on my feet and tear arse round the house for a bit with a ball in her mouth, before collapsing in an exhausted heap for the next few hours!

Shortandsweet20 Sun 27-Mar-16 17:44:24

Yes, it is normally after their tea about half 6. They have a mad half hour and then it is back to sleep!

FakaP Sun 27-Mar-16 17:49:11

Yes, mad half hour here too. Runs up and down the stairs, throws toys around, I love it!

Springermum1350 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:04:48

Not as much as he used to. My son tends to jump up on the table until he stops. It's nice to see actually as he is a quiet natured soul and to see him like that is nice.

MaynJune Sun 27-Mar-16 18:07:13

Yes, early evening, just for five or ten minutes after her tea. She zooms around the house tossing her toys in the air and panting joyfully. Then she doesn't stir from her beanbag till the bedtime walk.
She's eight or nine years old, so I don't think she'll grow out of it now!

Ricksheadtilt Sun 27-Mar-16 18:08:50

Mine has 2! Just after breakfast & dinner.
Are there E numbers in dog food? I just open the door & let her run it off!!!

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 27-Mar-16 18:08:50

Yes. 10-midnight. After the foxes in the garden.

Any tips?

Adarajames Sun 27-Mar-16 19:52:51

Ricks - yea there are in some foods, and sugars. Bakers is particularly an issue with causing hyper ness in dogs

Ricksheadtilt Sun 27-Mar-16 20:37:31

To be fair she's still on puppy food (for the next week or so). I imagine the calories etc are HUGE!!

Adarajames Sun 27-Mar-16 22:24:12

yes, if she's near the age of not needing it as mostly fully grown, she'll probably have more energy than needs smile Puppy zoomies are very fun to watch tho! :D

BadDoGooder Sun 27-Mar-16 22:36:08

DDog is 9 and is a delicate bloody flower most of the time! hmm
But every day, about 8ish she suddenly starts charging about, up and down stairs. She gets a ball from her box, or her favourite is to find an abandoned sock or slipper, and start throwing it about, shaking it like a rat and generally pratting about with it.
The other thing she does is do what I call her happy dance, prancing about from paw to paw, and jumping round in a circle.
She is lovely and daft!

JoffreyBaratheon Sun 27-Mar-16 22:48:08

Well mine has one good hour...

TheRegularShow Sun 27-Mar-16 22:55:03

Ha Joffrey I know that feeling!
Dogs are supposed to lower your blood pressure but when they decide to bolt on a walk and you have to run after them in the pouring rain trying not to slip in the mud or huge dog poos spread across dog poo field as I call it then I don't think my blood pressure is reduced!

He's now fast asleep as if his job is done for the day.

Ricksheadtilt Sun 27-Mar-16 23:14:51

There is lots to say about my Lolz... However I am v v tired
I'll leave it to one word & elaborate another time
Labrador!!! grin

ChairRider4 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:09:50

About 6/7 pm here and he wants to play chase around

cankles Mon 28-Mar-16 22:53:54

yes, an hour or more when it becomes a sniff-athon!

SistersOfPercy Mon 28-Mar-16 23:24:43

Yep, it's known as zoomies.

He runs the length of the room skidding rugs across the wooden floor as he goes, dives from sofa to sofa then up and down stairs. Eventually he'll get a drink, stroll back in and curl up on his end of the sofa.

We often comment afterwards how glad we are that we chose a scottie and not a great dane.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now