How often should you/do you brush your dogs teeth

(12 Posts)
Summerwood1 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:21:38

I know I should do it everyday but he hates it so much that it's probably only once a week. Just wondered how often other owners brush their dogs teeth?!

Springermum1350 Sat 26-Mar-16 05:51:35

Mine is never. I can't get near him. That and grooming. Not a chance. Luckily he has pearly white teeth and I give him lots of bones to eat. So at the moment it's not a problem. Not sure what I will do on the day it does become one.

Deadnettle Sat 26-Mar-16 08:44:02

I brush the poodles teeth every day, as she has (had now) horrid teeth even though she has only had them a few months!

I didn't clean either of my border collies teeth as they didn't need it.

The poodle has the same chews as the collies did and she chews more but her teeth were so bad the vet was talking about cleaning them when she gets spayed!

pigsDOfly Sat 26-Mar-16 12:28:06

Every time I do it, I swear I'll do it every day, but like you Summerwood it's probably nearer once a week. She's actually not that bothered by it, less so than being brushed, which apparently is the worst torture in the world (long haired). But because brushing her teeth involves catching her, in the same way I would if I were brushing her coat, it all feels a bit stressful for both of us so tends to get left until she needs brushing.

I do find the more I clean her teeth, the more tolerant she becomes of it, she hated it when I first did it.

Dieu Sat 26-Mar-16 14:08:24

My pup is 10 months old and I haven't once done it. I have the equipment but just haven't yet got round to doing it blush

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 26-Mar-16 14:10:43

I've never done it. They have a dentastik every day. At 9 and 6, my labs teeth are excellent.

Queenie73 Sat 26-Mar-16 15:41:06

My border collie is 7 and I've never brushed his teeth. They are excellent. My previous dogs (both also border collies) lived to be 20 and 15 without ever being near a toothbrush. I was always very particular about their diets though.

LaurieLemons Sat 26-Mar-16 16:25:06

I have never brushed their teeth and they are fine, they have excellent teeth apparently. I occasionally give them dentastix but that's it. My dads dog's breath smells rank and they give her a dentastick every day and probably brush her teeth at least once a week. Just depends on your dog.

HelpfulChap Sat 26-Mar-16 16:31:14

Never cleaned my Labs teeth in 14 years, never had a problem.

After spending £500-600 on dental treatment on my Maltese, his teeth now get cleaned every day.

JustBeingJuliet Sat 26-Mar-16 23:46:28

I have a collie X poodle and I've never cleaned her teeth. She's fed on a combination of kibble and raw and her teeth are pearly white. I think it's luck of the draw though as one of my previous dogs had horrendous problems with her teeth yet was fed the same.

Patterkiller Sat 26-Mar-16 23:49:40

Two labs. Never cleaned them and their teeth are both very good.

Do certain breeds have a tendency to poor teeth? I really didn't know.

tabulahrasa Sat 26-Mar-16 23:57:11

Yes some breeds are more prone to dental problems...but also just some individuals.

When I remember is the answer, lol...um about once a week.

His teeth are actually fine and he gets raw bones/chews so they should be, but he has to be muzzled at the vets so he's never going to get a dental exam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now