Tick infestation! Argh!!

(16 Posts)
Sparklycat Tue 22-Mar-16 21:20:49

I discovered about 6 ticks on my dog Sunday night, got them off and put the spot on tick/flea solution from the vets. Discovered another one yesterday and then a couple more on her today.
Worse however is I've just gone upstairs and removed over ten live ones from the quilt on my bed! blushangryconfused
We've put all hers and ours bedding on a hot wash and frontlined the cats (though they are indoor cats so can't be held responsible!) and manically hoovered everywhere.
I've never had a tick problem before but since moving to this house a year ago she seems to pick up a lot, I'm guessing they must be hiding/breeding in the garden...but where??
Anything else I can do to get rid/prevent them coming back??

MaitlandGirl Tue 22-Mar-16 21:29:24

I use a combined monthly flea/tick treatment on our dogs and it works really well. It's called Nexgard and I'm pretty sure it's available in the UK. It's a single, beefy treat that they chew on and it really does taste appetising (at least the dogs think so as it's the only chewable tablet that they eat without any problems)

Are you using the frontline spray or the spot on? The spray is only one over here that prevents ticks in cats as well as fleas.

We have paralysis ticks over here and I'm obsessive about making sure the dogs are covered for fleas and ticks but since they've been having the Nexgard they've not had anything on them.

Sparklycat Tue 22-Mar-16 21:31:59

We use the spot on as that's what the vet had given us, but it obviously isn't working as the ticks keep coming confused I'll google the other! I hope we can get the spray and the chew here, thanks.

MaitlandGirl Wed 23-Mar-16 03:19:50

Just spoke to a friend and you can get Nexgard in the UK.

There another flea/tick chew called Bravecto which lasts for 3 months. I wouldn't recommend that as the tick coverage really drops off toward the 2nd month and very low into the 3rd month. Nexgard has almost 100% coverage right through the month, and actually up to 6 weeks after giving the chew.

Tick coverage is very important to us where we live as dogs die from paralysis ticks and as you've got a tick problem where you live I'd go for the Nexgard.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Mar-16 07:44:55

In the UK Bravecto has full three months coverage, but in other parts of the world there are different types of ticks for which it only give 2 months full cover. Nexguard is less popular in the UK as it covers some worms, but not all.

Sparklycat Wed 23-Mar-16 12:34:01

So would it be best to use nexguard with an additional worming tablet? They already have a separate worm tablet with the spot on.
I've hoovered everywhere and am washing everything j can get my hands on today! I also got some bobmartin carpet and furnishing spray so will do that when there's no kiddies around. Fingers crossed they go away!!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Mar-16 13:13:02

I like to combination of Bravecto every three months to do fleas and ticks and Milbemax monthly to do round, tape and lungworm. If you are not in a lungworm risk area you could do Bravecto and milbemax every three months.
Nexguard spectra covers fleas, ticks, round and tapeworm, but not lungworm.

MaitlandGirl Thu 24-Mar-16 07:20:10

I use Nexgard and Drontall All Wormer and there's no problem combining the two products.

I also get the dogs vacinnated for Heartworm (which I don't think you have in the UK) and the vets are happy with the combination of all the meds they have.

LilCamper Thu 24-Mar-16 07:46:18

Tick treatments don't stop them from latching on, they work once the tick is attached and then kill them.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 24-Mar-16 08:52:27

This can be used alongside actual medical treatments to stop them latching on. My dad used to walk a lot through long grass with his terrier & always used to give her a spray of it, it improves coat condition too (I think a friend told him about it). I've had to screen shot this from my Instagram but it should be 'googleable'. I know he checked with his vet 1st to make sure it was safe.

MardAsSnails Thu 24-Mar-16 08:58:32

We use a shampoo called fidos rinse -available from Amazon - which kills all ticks on the dog and then you wait for them to drop off

For the house, luckily we have all tiled floors and leather sofa downstairs, but the rugs get treated with a spray which I can't remember it's name, but I get from the vets. I live in a country prevalent with babesia and erlichia, both of which YoungGirl had at the same time when we almost lost her, so we're paranoid

marmaladegranny Thu 24-Mar-16 09:15:25

My tick problem started when I moved to a new area of UK where ticks live in the bracken and heather. I struggle to remove ticks due to hand problems and last year, after my boy had a very persistent tick on his genitals, the vet recommended a Seresto collar that he wore for 8 months - you see many dogs wearing them around here. It is not a very attractive thing but I did not find any more ticks on him and bought him a new one for this year recently. As well as killing ticks, fleas and lice it also repels ticks and, in conjunction with his annual vaccinations and Milbemax, he is fully protected.

WoodenPegs Thu 24-Mar-16 09:27:12

Myheartisbeating Sat 26-Mar-16 15:24:54

Ticks have a three year life cycle: they hatch, feed, fall off, hibernate for a year, moult to a teenager tick, feed, fall off, hibernate, moult to an adult, feed, fall off, mate, females lay eggs, then die. It doesn't sound like you are missing any engorged ticks so the likely hood of you having them in your house is tiny. You would all be finding them too if that was the case. So what I'm trying to say (in a long winded way) is that you probably don't need to use the nasty chemicals in your house! You can either treat fortnightly with frontline (tick repeller), use nexguard monthly (tick must attach to die), bravecto three monthly (tick must attach to die) or a seresto collar every 7-9months (tick repeller). Ideally you want a tick repeller to reduce the risk of lymes disease, and if you are in the south east you DEFINITELY want a tick repeller as we now have babesiosis there which, as a pp has said, is nasty. There are pros and cons to all the above, best bet is to chat to your vet to work out what's going to work for you. Hope that helps a little bit!

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Sat 26-Mar-16 15:32:31

In the USA they often spray gardens/public areas with some kind of treatment that prevents ticks. So that could be an option if you think that the problem is in your garden.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 26-Mar-16 22:28:17

Frontline is not a repeller it needs to the tick to feed and takes far longer than nexguard and Bravecto to kill the tick. The other repeller available in the UK is advantix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now