Why has my dog started to crap indoors every night???!

(15 Posts)
ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 08:18:33

9yo cocker, always very well trained and never gone inside before (unless unwell).

For the last two weeks he hasn't greeted me of a morning but is sulking in his crate as he's done a massive poo by the back door.

He is pooing a lot more, but doesnt do it inside during the day (I'm at home or not out for hours).

He is walked at 6.30 am and again at 2.30 before school pick up. I put him to bed about 10/10.30 having let him out in the garden.

He has two meals a day, has had the same food for the last 5 years (allergies).

I thought he had a tummy upset as I gave him a Jumbone about two weeks ago. He had a few days Of this, it stopped and now started again. He rarely has treats other than raw carrots, left over veg and gravy. I'm very careful with his diet. A few small training treats when we are out to keep him interested.

Any thoughts please?

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 09:17:07

When my ancient spaniel started toilet ing in the house, it turned out to be cushings disease. It was very peculiar behaviour as she also went starving hungry but yet was losing weight. Worth getting him checked over as if there is an underlying medical reason it's better it's picked up early

Pinkgeek Tue 22-Mar-16 09:19:58

My 12yo greyhound is doing this too!
I'm seeing the vet later in the week so will mention it.

ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 10:27:08

Thanks for the replies. He is eating, and drinking plenty of water. He went through a phase of drinking a lot, but that seems to have settled.

He is fine in himself, quite perky and playful in fact, although he has started to look old. He's a good weight, happy and I can't see that anything much has changed in his behaviour. He is vomiting a bit too - sometimes there is vomit on the newspaper with the poo.

Oh god sorry! Too much information!

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 10:46:04

I would still get him checked over, it could be kidneys or it could just be food sensitivities. Best to check with a vet and run some bloods, then at least you have a baseline comparison for future reference if he is ok.
I didn't take my pops in for a couple of weeks as I thought it could just be old age and she was always food obsessed, I regret waiting now. Not that it would have made any difference to her disease!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 22-Mar-16 11:00:59

Is he drinking a lot more than usual? That rings alarm bells about Cushings for me too. Our old spaniel went like this and the vet initially suggested Cushings. It's a liver disease.

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 11:12:28

Cushings is excessive cortisol (steroid) production, usually caused by a tumour on the pituitary or adrenal glands. Liver issues are seen alongside it. Please get him checked over OP. (I'm coming at this from a biased perspective though, as my old girl went just yesterday.)
It sounds like possible kidney issues, with the drinking and vomiting, but I am no vet.

ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 11:27:56

I'm so sorry Puffy. thankssad

I'm taking him to see the at lunchtime.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 11:38:33

Hope he's ok, and it's just food related x

ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 13:19:01

Here we are. He's had bloods done, they show a very small rise in lover enzymes, but that may be secondary to a GI complaint. We're treating his GI complaint with bland food, antibiotics and probiotics, and back again for blood screening in four weeks. I also have to get a urine sample, so that should be hilarious!

Focusing on his tummy complaint and seeing how it pans out.

Thanks so much everyone.

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 13:28:51

Aww phew! Did they give you one of the sheewee style things to shove under him? They're hilarious. Don't know if they'd work for a boy though!

ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 14:51:18

Yes! And I missed!

Waiting to corner him when he wakes up. I'm not so worried now, and I'm really pleased I went and had him thoroughly checked over.

Thank you again.

triballeader Tue 22-Mar-16 21:59:16

Idiotdog is a cealiac and milk intolerant so stomach upsets and the consequences are now part and parcel of life with her. I have my [24/7] vet clinic on speed-dial.

Jumbones; tried mine with one as a treat. Never ever again.
Her stomach is just that tad too sensitive and it could not cope. It made her sick and caused a bout of colitis. It took a month before her stomach calmed down and that was with vet prescribed pro-biotics, antibiotics, pain relief and two weeks on an exclusion diet of plain rice, a bit of sweet potato with white fish. If your lads GI issues are similar to Idiot's it may well be the jumbone setting off a gut/inflamatory type reaction.

Hopefully your dog will quickly bounce back with the treatment from the vet and be more his old self soon.

ohforfoxsake Tue 22-Mar-16 22:57:15

Tribal leader - thank you. Yes I think you are right, it was probably the Jumbone. Made him some rice and chicken, and he's had his meds so hoping for a better welcome in the morning.

My boy has eaten all sorts of crap before now and has never had any lasting effects (not even after the bucket of Haribos - although we now have new rugs everywhere and more careful children) but the Jumbone has set him off. And cost me over £100. angry

I don't really mind - it was worth it to get a really thorough picture of his health - which I'm delighted to say is looking very good.

puffylovett Tue 22-Mar-16 23:17:47

A loaf of bread once wound up costing us several hundred pounds, so I'd say you got off quite lightly there winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now