Primary school with a full time dog!

(23 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 14-Mar-16 17:27:24

Did anyone see this on Crufts last night?

Primary school (state) with a resident Petit Griffon. Dog trots round the classes and the library and the kids love reading to him. Goes out and plays at playtime with the kids. Calms down the kids with emotional problems.

Sounds fab to me but I'm just amazed ive never seen a thread on AIBu moaning about it! grin. I'm suprised with kids with allergies, phobias and the general risk the dog nips a kid that it's allowed.

ShowOfHands Mon 14-Mar-16 17:28:56

DS's preschool has a lab.

It's quite common.

BertrandRussell Mon 14-Mar-16 17:36:03

My dc's primary school had an unofficial dog- she belonged to one of the year 5 teachers. She listened to reading, encouraged children in PE, comforted upset children. She was lovely. Then a parent complained on the grounds that she was distracting and got in the way of work, so the LEA had to ban her. Very reluctantly, I may say.

heavenlypink Mon 14-Mar-16 17:38:25

I'm surprised too

There's a lot that has to be looked into risk assessment wise. Allergies, children with phobias, insurance for the dog, temperament as no dog can be guaranteed to be 100% calm and placid all of the time. And naturally the health hygiene aspects.

I do think it can be a good idea, buts it's easy to understand how all the red tape prevents it

ineedaholidaynow Mon 14-Mar-16 17:40:29

I saw it. Thought it was so cute and great for the children, but did wonder how it had got past all the red tape etc

StuntBottom Mon 14-Mar-16 17:43:03

No experience of a dog in school but I remember having guinea pigs in my class when I was in primary school (a very long time ago!). If you finished your work on a Wednesday afternoon, you were allowed to get one out and have it on your desk.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 14-Mar-16 17:44:43

We had gerbils at school. A dog would have been so much better!

AlpacaLypse Mon 14-Mar-16 17:47:22

We had a school duck for a while... smile

AnnaMarlowe Mon 14-Mar-16 17:49:11

Theoretically I can see that it's a nice idea. As a child though, I'd have been terrified every single day.

RapidlyOscillating Mon 14-Mar-16 17:51:53

My dad is a ta at a school with a dog, apparently a big treat for the kids is to play with it. Belongs to the headmistress.

NattyTile Mon 14-Mar-16 17:53:11

Take a look at www.dogshelpingkids.co.uk.
Great charity.

redhat Mon 14-Mar-16 17:54:39

Not a dog but DS's school has guinea pigs, gerbils, chickens and a chinchilla.

SqueegyBeckinheim Mon 14-Mar-16 17:55:50

DDs school have a visiting dog. His main job is to be read to by children who find reading out loud intimidating. He doesn't go into classrooms, but stays in the library and children come out to him so less issues with allergies or phobias as children who don't want to have contact with him can avoid him.

stealthbanana Mon 14-Mar-16 17:57:32

My sister is a primary school teacher and she brings her dog in all the time. The kids love him. No allergy issues I guess. Tbf the dog is a lazy bugger so will quite happily snooze in the corner and graciously accept cuddles from the kids who want to come and play.

JennyBunn Mon 14-Mar-16 17:58:25

<wonders if can offload dog with kids into school>

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 14-Mar-16 17:59:35

I would love for my dog to become a PAT dog and go and see poorly kids in hospitals. Don't think she would pass the assessment though because she's quite nervous of adults and will pull back if an adult she doesn't know tries to stroke her. But she loves kids.

BertrandRussell Mon 14-Mar-16 18:02:55

My dog failed her assessment to be a PAT dog because like a lot of Borders she scrabbles when she loves people. And she loves everyone.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 14-Mar-16 18:04:56

Don't think my dog would take treats gently either!

BertrandRussell Mon 14-Mar-16 18:22:56

Mine used to visit my mum when she was in a nursing home- it was lovely, she'd always give a cuddle to anyone who wanted one, and I could calm the scrabbling down. But she wan't allowed to become official. sad

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 14-Mar-16 22:28:27

My dog is a regular visitor to a primary school - he usually listens to a small group of children read in the library but he's also taken part in assemblies and sometimes goes to play with a small group on the playing fields

He's an 'official' Pets as Therapy dog and he very definitely switches into 'work' mode when he has his PAT coat on.

He loves the attention and the vast majority of children love seeing him - there are a few who are scared but he's so gentle it's quite hard to keep being scared of him, nevertheless there's no pressure on any of the children to interact with him unless they want to

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 14-Mar-16 22:36:45

There's a boy in my dds class who screams the place down if he sees a dog. Shame. Would be lovely.

DeltaSunrise Tue 15-Mar-16 07:40:29

I would love it if the ds's school had a dog.

They have a resident cat, a female called Boris grin the kids love her. She wanders in and out of the classrooms and sits on kids laps during story time.

SweetLathyrus Tue 15-Mar-16 14:28:22

My University invites therapy dogs in specifically at exam time, but we also have a 'dogs at work' policy. My Working Cocker is one of a growing 'pack' in our building. They has to be risk assessed, have public liability insurance, and we have signs on our doors - I am very insistent that I will make alternative arrangements for him if students are scared or allergic. But to be honest, I have more that are disappointed if he's not around!

The earlier children meet well behaved dogs, the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now