how many meals?

(12 Posts)
ArtyKitty Sat 12-Mar-16 20:42:43

Doodlewolf has just been swapped over to the adult version of her dried food but we're still doing 3 meals a day. Everything I've read says to cut down to two or even one meal a day. Certainly all my dogs growing up had 2 meals but I cant find any explanation for why this is beneficial. Obviously she will get the same amount regardless as we weigh it out daily. Can someone enlighten me, please?

ArtyKitty Sun 13-Mar-16 20:00:39

Seems not! Might just stick to three then. She's happy and healthy which is my only concern.

nattyknitter Sun 13-Mar-16 20:39:29

I feed twice a day, but for no other reason than I think once would be mean.

I know it's an animal, but my reasoning is that I would feel hungry if I only ate once per day. I go with morning and late afternoon/ early evening.

I have a dog that stops when she has had enough and often leaves a small amount in the bowl, so I don't worry she is over eating. Every now and then she is mooching late at night and I will give her a third lighter meal. She isn't a greedy dog, so I know she must be hungry if she is nudging her bowl around.

dudsville Sun 13-Mar-16 21:35:03

I've seen conversions about numbers of meals a day, but it doesn't matter, is the amount that matters.

dudsville Sun 13-Mar-16 21:35:36

Oh, but we do two meals and a snack daily.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 13-Mar-16 21:37:43

I feed twice a day as I find feeding once a day can lead to hunger vomits in the early hours. Sometimes I split the spaniel's meals into three meals a day as he is a dog that never stops and he needs the extra meal.

balalalala Sun 13-Mar-16 21:39:11

We cut our lab down to 2 meals a day and she started being sick mid afternoon. The vet advised giving her lunch again as they thought maybe her stomach acid was building up. She's not been sick in an afternoon since so we've stuck with it!

Peaceandloveeveryone Sun 13-Mar-16 21:41:23

We do twice, bigger one in the morning andsnacksallday

RaspberrySnowCone Sun 13-Mar-16 21:43:41

We do twice a day, after walks. We have a Cocker and he goes wild when out, must cover miles for every 100 yards we do so I feel like I need to top him up afterwards! He has snacks in between too

AnUtterIdiot Mon 14-Mar-16 00:12:25

My parents feed their dogs once a day. I feed mine twice as vet said it was better for them. I assume it's to do with convenience - I am not always there at lunchtime so don't want to get him used to a meal I can't guarantee.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 14-Mar-16 00:13:41

PS he does geta fully loaded Kong when I am out!

nattyknitter Mon 14-Mar-16 00:43:02

Idiot Mine knows I'm going out when I get the Kong out, so she sits by the door to try to stop me going.

I got busted a few weeks ago, I was kept out longer than expected, so I asked my Mum to pop round to let her out. When she went in, she said out loud, "I wonder where she keeps your treats". Cue dog making a beeline to the right cupboard. She knows too much that dog.

Dog before this one would bring his dish when he felt like more food and would throw it at you. It's hard to resist big brown eyes looking at you holding a bowl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now