How do you train left and right?

(7 Posts)
MagentaSpunkTrumpet Fri 11-Mar-16 16:00:56

I have gundogs who will turn on a whistle and will follow hand signals. All directions are given with the dog facing me.
DDog3 is about to start agility next month and I'm toying with the idea of hitching her up with a Cani-X harness when I go running. Left and right commands would therefore be given with her facing away from me.
So is she taught her left and right or my left and right IYSWIM?
I'm sure I should know this but I'm tying myself in knots trying to work out the logistics of it grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 11-Mar-16 17:14:03

When I do it I sit the dog up facing me, about ten feet away, and then I throw a treat to the right and when the dog moves to get it I say 'Right!' And then the same for left, obviously. So it's my right and left. The dog doesn't know anyway. grin

Teapot101 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:38:16

I used to do canicross and just used to call left and right as we went at the correct moment and they son pick it up.

PseudoBadger Fri 11-Mar-16 18:39:25

Teach a spin left and right - shape using clicker or lure with a treat or toy

Cheerfulmarybrown Fri 11-Mar-16 19:14:38

I shape it and will use the spin method or around a cone.

MagentaSpunkTrumpet Sat 12-Mar-16 09:39:43

I guess that 90% of the time she would have her back to me so "left" would be her left. It's if she's facing me I'm confused. Would "left" cause her to turn to her left/ my right or would she turn to my left? <frets pointlessly>

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 12-Mar-16 13:51:41

If she's facing you to see the signal then it's her right and your left. If she's not then it's the same for both of you.

How are you going to teach her to change direction if she's not looking at you? Unless you start off by teaching her left and right when she's at heel so you can shape it yourself.

As long as you get her to go the way you want it doesn't really matter what command you use. You just need to remember it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now