Blooming terriers waking me at silly O'clock

(10 Posts)
notarehearsal Fri 11-Mar-16 06:55:01

Moved into a rural location a few weeks ago, mid terraced cottage. Originally living just outside of a city.Terriers are six years old and yappy at best of times. In the past week they have woken me whining and barking at around 5.30am. Ive shouted for them to be quiet but obviously worried about waking the neighbours so will get up to them. Once they're up they demand food and need to go outside, they they run into the huge garden and bark at anything. Once they've been outside and been fed they settle down into a lovely deep sleep....This morning I realised that one neighbour ( haven't met them yet) leaves the house at 6.30. Now I'm wondering if it's the neighbour waking the dogs? His light is no when I get up early. I very very occasionally had this in previous house but could shout from my bedroom for them to go back to sleep and they would quieten until around 7am. I don't know what my options are as I don't want to bring them into my bedroom ( which is now upstairs) and they sleep downstairs in the kitchen ( can't be trusted loose in the house!) They are fed in the morning and walked three times a day ( food obsessed though so constantly scrounging for food) Cant be fed anymore as prone to being overweight. Any ideas people? I'm exhausted by the time I go to work

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 11-Mar-16 06:56:44

Could you leave the radio on low for them overnight? It might mask any noise your neighbour makes. Or a white noise app like you can use for babies?

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 11-Mar-16 06:59:11

I think I'd be tempted to set an alarm for 5.15 and see if you can creep down and see what's going on! Or maybe set up a camera?

The neighbour theory sounds likely though. Can you do anything to the kitchen to stop them knowing neighbour is up? Black out blind at the window maybe?

Will they sleep in a crate in another room?

Can't comment on not wanting them in the bedroom as that's where mine have always slept! grin

notarehearsal Fri 11-Mar-16 07:50:45

I don't dare even get up to the loo early morning as they will wake and start barking! Id imagine a bot too old to be in a crate and I'm not too keen on them tbh. Kitchen is lovely and dark already, I do think it's the neighbour waking them. I may try to feed them at night instead of the morning, it may help. They're very reactive dogs so the slightest noise sets them off. I think its going to be the draw back of living in a terraced house tbh. If this continues I may have to bring them up with me but hadn't wanted to as that was a habit I was in previously and it made my room smelly and hairy!!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 11-Mar-16 10:02:12

cunting you can get a specific dog music recording on YouTube that's meant to clam them/help them sleep. I've not tried it on the dog but it worked for the baby when the vacuum one lost it's magic touch grin

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 11-Mar-16 10:02:46

Calm even

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 11-Mar-16 16:20:33

Amazing Bernards ! I'm going to download that for next time we have to leave our barky little terrier or to try on ds tonight grin

hedgehogsdontbite Fri 11-Mar-16 16:25:55

Having been the owner of multiple barking terriers over the years I can tell you exactly what causes the early morning barking. Hedgehogs. They get up early to snuffle around and catch their breakfast sending terriers demented in the process. One of mine kept ripping down curtains in his 5.00am frenzy to get out and chase them round the garden.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 11-Mar-16 17:06:08

It's a channel called Relax my dog- relaxing music for dogs grin

notarehearsal Sun 13-Mar-16 10:46:49

Gosh that music is awesome! Thanks for that. I'll use that when I'm out from now on.
Although very reactive they have long spells when they do sleep. They're all together less reactive now we don't live in a city and haven't people walking past the house non stop. I've crept down a couple of mornings and it does seem to be the new next door neighbour waking them on the days he goes to work. This morning they didn't start whining until around 6.30 which is fine for me and quite normal for them.
I guess I either bring them upstairs or put up with very very early mornings a few times a week, yuk to both.
Oh for a lie in until 8!
Oh and Ive split their food into two times a day which may help too.
Thanks all for your suggestions and comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now