Are my pups eyes ok?

(11 Posts)
CalliopeTorres Tue 08-Mar-16 18:50:13

Had ddog for 7 weeks now and we're absolutely smitten with him. He's a cocker spaniel and one thing I've noticed about him is that in the last few weeks he's been getting intermittently red eyes and what looks like an extra lower eyelid or something on one eye. Really difficult to explain so have attached a pic. It doesn't seem to bother him in any way so not sure if a vets visit is warranted although totally happy to do so if needs be. Any ideas?

pigsDOfly Tue 08-Mar-16 19:10:04

Unless that's a feature of cocker spaniels' eyes I'd be off to the vet if my dog's eyes looked like that.

He might not be showing any discomfort but that's not to say he isn't feeling it.

CalliopeTorres Tue 08-Mar-16 19:13:13

I think you're right, will hopefully schedule a vets visit when the eyes look like that - as it isn't 24/7 and I wondered if it could be down to something as simple as being tired?

PhilPhilConnors Tue 08-Mar-16 19:15:47

Could be entropion, I would see a vet.

Whitney168 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:58:19

It is indeed the third eyelid or 'haw', which will be coming up in response to irritation. Could be entropion (ingrowing eyelashes), could be something else, but definitely needs to be checked by the vet.

CalliopeTorres Tue 08-Mar-16 20:58:19

I'll give the vets a ring tomorrow, get it checked out. Don't want him to be in any discomfort.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 08-Mar-16 21:03:48

It looks ectropion, Cockers are prone to it (as are Saints). Definitely call the vets tomorrow.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 08-Mar-16 21:07:03

Ah, sorry was looking at wrong side (the joys of a tiny screen) entropian.

wallywobbles Tue 08-Mar-16 21:35:29

Cockers can have eye issues - that can require treatment for life. Bit of a pain to be honest. Another issue can be in the mouth folds which can get infected - it's another aspect to keep an eye on and maybe clean occasionally. If there is a terrible terrible smell it can come from there.

CalliopeTorres Wed 09-Mar-16 09:12:32

I've made an appointment for this afternoon to get it checked out. Thanks for all the opinions. Hopefully it's nothing too serious or distressing for him.

CalliopeTorres Wed 09-Mar-16 18:21:50

Thanks all, the vet suggested it might be conjunctivitis so I've got drops to give 4x per day for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now