How do you get rid of dog hair???

(11 Posts)
TheRegularShow Fri 04-Mar-16 18:59:35

I've only had my dog for a week but the amount if hair on my clothes and the carpet is insane!

Obviously I Hoover and have the sticky roller things (which don't do much) and I will be having him groomed when he a bit more settled but do you just accept your clothes will always be full of hair or is there another way of minimising?
His hairs seem to be everywhere!

Varnish the dog? Immac them? Both options I have considered!

Some dogs will accept being hoovered (mine both run away from the vacuum).

I wish I had a solution - sorry.

tabulahrasa Fri 04-Mar-16 20:28:41

Brushing the dog regularly makes the most difference, but yep if you own a dog that sheds you kind of have to accept that there will always be a certain amount of fur no matter how much you try to get rid of it.

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 04-Mar-16 20:31:02

You can't.
It's always there, lurking under the sofa, behind the doors, clinging to your black sweaters.

With my dogs, the more you brush, the more they shed, I think I disturb some bond between skin and fur and it all goes everywhere.

It's a losing battle.

foolonthehill Fri 04-Mar-16 20:36:35

a Furminator changed my life...and the dog loves it.
A Miele cat and dog hoover helps.

Closing my eyes and wishing is ineffective but when I forget/can't be botheres with 1) and 2) is all that is left!

fieldfare Fri 04-Mar-16 20:48:24

We use a furminator and it's fab! That, regular baths and vacuuming daily all help.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 04-Mar-16 21:14:43

A rubber window squeegee is great for getting hair off the stair carpet. Someone on here recommended and it works well.

honeyroar Fri 04-Mar-16 21:23:19

I just got a Henry Numatic and he's doing a pretty impressive job on our house, which has three dogs and two cats..

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 05-Mar-16 12:13:59

You don't. It's like plaster dust, it hangs around for bloody ages. FIL hasn't had a dog for about 3 years now & has had a full re-dec but every so often he'll still find a bit of dog hair.

Lokibuddyboo Sat 05-Mar-16 18:21:25

You can't totally get ride of it only make it less noticeable by hovering and lint rollers.
My father's Japanese Akitas hair gets everywhere and twice a year when she loses her full coat you can brush and get nearly a carrier bag full of hair a day.

DeltaSunrise Mon 07-Mar-16 00:09:06

You go out with the aim to get a new vacuum that will actually make a dent in the dog hair compared to your current shitty one, get given a demonstration of the most expensive vacuum in the shop, fall in love yes, with a vacuum cleaner and walk out $2000 lighter.

You get home totally excited to use new vacuum cleaner and marvel at how clean it really has got the carpets (bloody amazing actually) until you let your dog out of his crate and he comes straight through and rolls around on the floor.

Next stop: pet shop for a furminator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now