When do rescue dogs stop following you round the house?

(23 Posts)
TheRegularShow Fri 04-Mar-16 16:50:34

I have a new rescue dog and he follows me everywhere. Every time I make a slight movement he jumps up straight away.
Everywhere I go he scrambles to follow and I'm nearly tripping up as he is a small dog and he is under my feet!

How long will it be roughly when he adjusts?

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 04-Mar-16 16:54:57

My dog is not a rescue and he follows me most places

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 04-Mar-16 16:56:09

Posted too soon! He is 4

Readysteadyknit Fri 04-Mar-16 17:01:47

I've had Ddog2 for 18 months and she still follows me everywhere including waiting outside the loo and the shower. Ddog1 (also a rescue) has always been happy to do his own thing and only gets up for food, a walk and very occasionally for a pat.

MiaowTheCat Fri 04-Mar-16 17:02:25

We've had our rescue dog 5+ years and he's still a furry shadow.

RudeElf Fri 04-Mar-16 17:04:12

My dog is 5.5 and lived with me all his life and still follows me everywhere. I have a stairgate that he isnt allowed past and he lies at it until i come back. If i leave it open be will follow me and lie at whatever door ive gone through.

WeeMadArthur Fri 04-Mar-16 17:25:01

My dog is 11 and still follows me from room to room hoping for food and now his legs are doddery he sits at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me if I go upstairs. If you want him to stay put more often you could try training him to sit in a particular spot, say a small bed in a room, and reward him if he stays there till you return. Try just a couple of steps away at first, building up to going out of sight.

Bubble2bubble Fri 04-Mar-16 17:52:04

Possibly never grin
Though I have always found three weeks was a big cut off point for a lot of things, and often the time a new rescue started to find my other dogs better company than me ( if I was doing something boring )

needastrongone Fri 04-Mar-16 17:54:03

Had both of mine from 8 weeks old and they follow me round the kitchen smile

kelper Fri 04-Mar-16 17:54:32

My dog is nearly 5, we've had her 18 months and she follows me everywhere!
I'm waiting for her to get bored, she crashes into me every time i turn round!!

PacificDogwod Fri 04-Mar-16 17:55:41

We've had DHound for 10 months now, he's 2 1/2 years old, and there is no change at all in how clingy he is - any twitch I make he gets up, ready to follow me.
He's ok being left for short periods alone in the house, but when I am in he is a furry limpet. I cannot see is changing anytime soon.
We have a stair gate too as upstairs/bedrooms are kept as a doggy-free zone. He sleeps on his bed in the kitchen but I can hear him getting up in the morning and when I come down he is lying at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for me. He then leaps and bounds around as if he had not seen me for 200 years grin

I think it's more of a personality trait rather than purely anxiety tbh.

JoffreyBaratheon Fri 04-Mar-16 18:07:04

Our's is a rescue but came to us as a puppy and she even follows me to the toilet. Which is creepy. And I have to leave her with the kids or husband when I go for a bath but if anyone leaves the living room door open she will shoot upstairs then sit quietly outside the bathroom door, sniffing under the door now and then so I know she is waiting forlornly.

Ddog2 is a rescue dog - she's been with us just over 4 years - and she definitely wants to be with us as much as possible. As I am writing this, she is lying right next to me, on the couch, plastered to my leg.

We are her 4th home, including the Dogs' Trust - and she might have been puppy farmed (she's definitely had a couple of litters) - and we reckon it's no surprise she's more than a bit neurotic!

mrssmith79 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:37:08

Got our rescue in 2009, she was about 2. I can't cross my legs or sit forward without her jumping up to come over. Follows me everywhere, even sits on the bath mat when I'm in the bath or on the loo!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 04-Mar-16 18:55:56

My friends dog wasn't a rescue and she follows her everywhere. She even tries to jump onto her lap when she's on the loo grin

RandomMess Fri 04-Mar-16 19:01:16

My ddog is a rescue and is my shadow unless there are others in the kitchen doing something with food.

After a month or so she decided that when she is home alone on weekdays with DH (he is office based work at home) she will have her morning nap on DD's bed spend lunchtime with him and then afternoon nap on our bed!

redannie118 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:02:28

Yep had my little rescue pooch 6 years and she is glued to my ankle at all times ! Shes not allowed on the chair if we are eating so she sits on my foot till im finished smile

insan1tyscartching Fri 04-Mar-16 20:11:12

Eric's not a rescue but follows me everywhere unless I tell him where I'm going (to the loo/to put the washing out/to the bin) in which case he goes there and waits for me instead hmm He's two and been just the same since he was a tiny pup the only improvement is that he now knows not to sit directly behind me when I'm at the sink so he isn't trodden on (he sits next to the washing machine instead)

MissRainbowBrite Fri 04-Mar-16 20:24:05

We've had Ddog since she was 9 weeks, she's now 2, and she is always underfoot. Frequent shouts of "bloody dog" can be heard when she invariably trips you up as she is always right beside you. Can't go to the loo in peace and if I nip upstairs I have to tell her to stay down and even then she lies halfway up to keep an eye on me.
So it must just be a personality thing not always a rescue dog thing.

JeffersonCrisp Fri 04-Mar-16 20:27:07

We've got two dogs and its a standing joke in our house that wherever I go they follow.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 04-Mar-16 20:29:52

Never. Ever.

Mine has been here for 8 months now and he is still my limpet, everywhere I go he goes too. He is now trained to sit on a mat in the kitchen so he doesn't get under my feet though and is pretty good at knowing that's where he's meant to be.

CommunistLegoBloc Fri 04-Mar-16 21:00:48

DDog (rescue) constantly at my side. Fine at night (now!) and to be left, although he does apparently keep checking out of the window to see if I'm on my way back. But if I'm downstairs he follows me everywhere and if I go upstairs he will wait or occasionally whine. He gives up on that pretty quickly now though, thank god.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 05-Mar-16 08:26:28

We've had our boy 2 months and he has become less clingy - however, he is a greyhound so quite lazy! Some dogs never stop it I'm afraid. You can train him to stay with treats though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now