Whippet Castration

(7 Posts)
Greenkit Sun 28-Feb-16 11:17:38

Our whippet is 13ish months old, the youngest of three whippets we have, 1 Castrated male 9yrs and 1 Neutered female 3yrs.

I have always intended to have him done, and it was advised to wait until he was older.. But how much older should he be, would now be ok?

Quoteunquote Sun 28-Feb-16 16:57:27

Do it now, who ever told you to wait has very outdated information.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 28-Feb-16 19:16:54

I am going to disagree with Quote the current best information is very on the fence about neutering males at all. There are benefits and disadvantages to neutering and not neutering have a chat to your vet about all the benefits and disadvantages before you make your decision.

suz1rr Mon 29-Feb-16 23:44:33

I recommend waiting until fully grown, so by a year he should be absolutely fine smile

AnUtterIdiot Tue 01-Mar-16 07:52:10

For large breeds you are supposed to wait until they're fully grown because they need the hormones to maximise bone strength, or so we were told. But ask the vet.

Greenkit Tue 01-Mar-16 19:57:55

Thank you for the replies

I didn't want to rush into it as our older whippet was castrated quite young and has been a PITA ever since with whining.

I will make an appointment

TrionicLettuce Tue 01-Mar-16 20:41:02

I doubt the wining is related, some of them are just whingey sods.

DWhippet1 is terrible, although I can't deny the sheer range of whines, whinges and cries he can make is very impressive hmm grin

DWhippets2 & 3 are nowhere near as bad, in fact DWhippet 3 almost never whines he just roos when he wants attention

All three were castrated at around 14 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now