How Much???

(9 Posts)
scarfaceace Fri 26-Feb-16 12:38:36

Our beautiful dog had been ill for a short while, then late afternoon/early evening a few days ago she rapidly went downhill. We didn't think it fair to wait until the morning to call the vet, not knowing how much pain she was in, so about 8 pm we called the vet out. Our precious dog was pts. It was a terrible decision to have to make but she was peaceful at the end and we knew it was the right thing to do for her.

Obviously we knew there would be a call out fee plus the other things, but we have now got the bill. I'm not worried about the 'other things', but the call out fee alone was £225! It seems such a lot. Obviously we will pay it but I feel it's such a huge amount and... I don't know. Is that normal?

slicedfinger Fri 26-Feb-16 12:40:17

So sorry for your loss. I'm afraid it probably is about normal. Especially if the vet came to you. Out of hours treatment of any kind can be ferociously expensive.

scarfaceace Fri 26-Feb-16 12:42:56

Thanks slicedfinger - I knew it would be a lot but didn't realise it would be that much. I must be out of touch.

tabulahrasa Fri 26-Feb-16 12:56:25

Last time I had an out of hours emergency I had to go to them and the extra out of hours fee was £250, so yeah less than that at your house seems reasonable to me.

Sorry for your loss though.

scarfaceace Fri 26-Feb-16 13:03:04

Crikey tabulahrasa! I don't feel so bad now. You poor thing.

And thanks. I miss my girl terribly.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 26-Feb-16 13:23:15

It is an out of hours call out fee it is considerably more than I charge, but the highest I have heard is £450.

scarfaceace Fri 26-Feb-16 13:27:35

Wow Lonecatwithkitten - that's a huge amount! Heartstopping!

Greyhorses Fri 26-Feb-16 13:32:36

It's about right for an OOH call. Usually they have to pay vet/nurse for the time plus travel and a second vet to be backup incase of second emergency so it does work out expensive.

Sorry to hear about your dog sad

scarfaceace Fri 26-Feb-16 13:44:48

Thanks Greyhorses, I suppose when you take into account all the other things going on in the background I guess it all adds up - it was just a bit of a shock, and not too bad an amount going by the previous answers.

Thanks also - I feel very sad about losing my lovely dog, but I know in my heart she is in a better place now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now