Suggestions for wet food to tempt our old dog who has been very poorly?

(14 Posts)
musicposy Fri 26-Feb-16 00:08:33

Hi there, we've 4 amazing dogs, the oldest of which is well over 13. We've had a really bad week with DDdog1 who had what the vet thought was a small stroke, followed by a larger second stroke, on Monday. He couldn't stand or walk without collapsing, kept shaking, lost continence - we honestly thought it was the end.
Vet said it would take an MRI scan to diagnose for certain but at £1600 and we just don't have that. Even if we did, I'm not quite sure there's benefit in putting him through too much at his age :-( Vet gave him a steroid/ anti inflammatory injection. DD1 is in London 70 miles away but she rushed back immediately - he's her dog really and they miss each other terribly. (She went to uni in Sept) She was texting from the train and I honestly didn't think she was going to see him alive. But she made it and as soon as he saw her he seemed to turn a corner.

Nearly four days on and he seems much brighter, can walk again, is continent, is happy and enjoying life, and scrounging scraps. But he is slow and reluctant to eat his dinner and I want something to really tempt him. He's been on varied stuff in the past due to us trying to find something that suits all four - from Orijen to Burgess Sensitive to Wainwrights to Nutriment. He's currently on Chappie which is crappier than the rest but the main reason we went to it was he was so keen to eat it (and dried kibble tends to make him cough).

I so want him to pull through, I just can't tell you. He's been in our lives for nearly 14 years now, and DD2 can't remember a time without him. I don't care what the food costs - he can be the only one on it if need be. I don't want a change of diet to upset him but I can mix it in slowly and most of all, I do need him to eat. Any suggestions?

Lokibuddyboo Fri 26-Feb-16 02:26:01

Wainwrights do a wet dog food you can get it from pets at home
Take a look at the: allaboutdogfood website it rates dog food.

MaynJune Fri 26-Feb-16 09:01:08

My last dog needed a variety of foods in his final years. He wanted to eat but was easily put off. I gave him various wet foods, pouches, the ones meant for small dogs, home cooked mince with rice or pasta and yes, Chappie.
He would enjoy something for a day or two then need a change, so I didn't buy huge tins.

MissBeaHaving Fri 26-Feb-16 09:11:40

Poor pup!
Millies Wolfheart now do wet foods,I think they do a small sample pack.
They deliver for free also.

JeanGenie23 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:13:07

Cat food is also good, as it is stronger tasting. Pet-supermarket.co.uk have a good selection of brands

MissBeaHaving Fri 26-Feb-16 09:15:58

There is a lot of food info on the site.
They were a great help & gave advice when our lab was poorly.

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk

Sandyclaus Fri 26-Feb-16 09:17:24

The vets do a special food for dogs with gastric issues - it's expensive but worth it as it smells really strongly and is like a paste so easy for them to eat and good for their digestion.

Failing that how about things like chicken and rice with dog gravy ? Or tuna or sardines ?

AnUtterIdiot Fri 26-Feb-16 12:45:23

A small amount of tuba goes a very long way at Château Idiot. Just a dribble of tuna juice gets the dog wildly overexcited about whatever I am trying to get down him.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 26-Feb-16 12:45:58

*tuna not tuba

**I have not tried playing the tuba to him

MrsBee55 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:54:14

Lily's kitchen! www.lilyskitchen.co.uk

My 11yr old springer had stomach trouble his whole life and we constantly changed up his food until we found this. It's filled with healthy ingredients and he goes nuts for it! Lots of interesting flavours too, his favourite is fishy fish pie! Ever since he started on Lily's, everything about him has improved; his coat is super shiny, doggy breath reduced, he has his spring back and looks forward to meal times! They do treats too!

We went straight from chappie (recommended by vets but despised by dog) to Lily's and had no problems. The fish pie in particular is more like a paste so really easy to manage on his off days, no large harder bits to cough up. Maybe that would be a good one to start with? If he likes fish, of course. We get it from tesco/morrisons.

Hope you find him something tasty, all the best to the both of you!

TrionicLettuce Fri 26-Feb-16 16:06:16

Wainwrights do a salmon and potato tinned food that was very popular with DDog1 when he got elderly and fussy.

Rocco Classic tins from Zooplus come in a huge variety of different flavours and have always proved popular with mine.

Others that always go down well here are Evolution, Nature's Menu, Lily's Kitchen, Wainwrights trays, Naturediet and Millie's Wolfheart.

musicposy Fri 26-Feb-16 16:11:04

This is really helpful, thank you! I will look into all those suggestions and good to know that other dogs often chop and change when old.

grin at tuba. My childhood dog used to howl every time I played the violin - suspect tuba might be similar!

I will look into Lily's kitchen and Millie's Wolfheart. I have got some Wainwrights senior wet trays for now but will definitely experiment.

BabyGanoush Fri 26-Feb-16 16:16:14

I cooked dinner for my dog when she was poorly blush

a bit of chicken, rice and veg

when she was a bit better, a tiny bit of freshly cooked chicken liver, with her kibble

Chicken and liver, even in small portions (they should not have much liver), add interest to their food bowl more than any tinned stuff.

ShmooBooMoo Fri 26-Feb-16 16:20:16

There is a really nice one (but it's meant to be a treat really, rather than an every day food). It's called Encore. It's like tinned shredded chicken, small tin. You can get it at Sainsbury's. The other thing, which is pretty nutritious, is tinned tripe, also seen at Sainsbury's (a lot of dogs seem to love it!) Otherwise, vets often suggested boiled white rice and diced chicken breast together when dogs are poorly. Hope he feels better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now