Ideas for keeping dog more entertained

(19 Posts)
NotthespecialONE Thu 25-Feb-16 12:21:33

My dog has started chewing things he shouldn't be, sign of boredom maybe? He has plenty of chew toys but looking for some inspiration for anything I can buy him to keep him more entertained... Thanks

nmg85 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:29:34

I have a ball you put food in which they need to push around to get it out and you can make is easier / harder by changing size of the hole. Keeps mine quiet for 20 - 30min with just a handful of her dinner in. Also only cost about £3 and has lasted about a year now despite being dropped down the stairs 100+ times.

NotthespecialONE Thu 25-Feb-16 12:32:59

Thank you! Any idea what's its called so I can buy one

Springermum1350 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:36:46

I use all the stuff i put into the recycle bin. Put some nice chicken etc into boxes and loo rolls etc and fold all the edges up so its hard to get into. My dog loves that. Or I out food into towels and fold them up and he has to sniff it out.

DramaAlpaca Thu 25-Feb-16 12:42:22

I give my two springers a Kong each with fillings they have to work to lick out.

I also do what Springermum does and put treats into kitchen roll tubes, cardboard boxes etc. If only I could teach them to put the cardboard bits into the bin when they finished with them I'd be happy grin

I like the idea of wrapping bits of food into a towel, I'll try that.

nmg85 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:55:17

I can't remember the name but I bought it from pet planet.

fuzzyllama Thu 25-Feb-16 12:57:18

Fill a kong with something suitable and freeze it- keeps them entrained for a fair while !

Veterinari Thu 25-Feb-16 13:02:57

is he only chewing when home alone? If he's a bit of a velcro-dog I'd be concerned about separation anxiety - does any of this sound familiar OP?

Springermum1350 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:24:03

My husband also made one of the spinning bottle feeders that you see everywhere. Basically a wooden frame with three bottles with a rod through the middle of them. He then had to bat the bottles so they spin around to get the food out. He loves it.

MissBeaHaving Thu 25-Feb-16 13:29:58

Springermum can they be bought anywhere ?
Sounds like something my lab would love.

Op I also use the recycling for treats & a frozen kong with various fillings,my lab also loves his tug-a-jug but it's very noisy clattering & banging on things as he throws it around so we only give it outside.

MissBeaHaving Thu 25-Feb-16 13:30:54

Forgot about his antler & buffalo horn, he will gnaw on them for a good hour in the afternoon.

NotthespecialONE Thu 25-Feb-16 14:14:38

Lots of great ideas here - thanks

Veterinari - no he's chewing when someone's home too, last couple of weeks he's destroyed several ds's toys, we can't seem to put anything down at the moment without him trying to grab it and chew/break/eat it.

Veterinari Thu 25-Feb-16 15:15:36

How old is he Not?

Springermum1350 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:17:16

MissBeaHaving.... I don't think so. It didn't take much to make. If you look on you tube or Pinterest you will see they are pretty easy to make. Worth making though

LBOCS2 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:28:51

Antler chew. We have a 10mo lurcher and although he's a lot better (doesn't chew chairs any more hmm) he'll still happily sit at your feet destroying a sock/milk bottle/piece of my little pony if he gets the chance. We went through about £50 of toys and chews before we found these antlers, and they've been a godsend. They're about £12 each, but he loves them and they last amazingly well even with lots and lots of chewy attention.

NotthespecialONE Thu 25-Feb-16 21:51:22

He's 16 months veterinari
Will buy an antler chew for him. He seems to get bored of his chew toys very quickly, he's got lots but maybe I'm buying the wrong ones!
Springermum - I'm gonna have a go at making one of those this weekend

Veterinari Fri 26-Feb-16 08:20:49

Ok so unlikely to be teething.

I second the antler chew and also look into Kong wobblers for giving his dry food rather than a bowl.

Keep his toys in a box and swap one or two out every couple of days so that they become novel - if they're always sitting out they'll be boring

Ensure he's getting plenty if exercise abd try abd do a training session with him each day, general physical and mental stimulation will wear him out and reduce his desire to chew

FantasticButtocks Fri 26-Feb-16 08:27:05

I agree about the antlers, my dogs love them!

So far, my eight month old rescue puppy has destroyed DH's electric toothbrush, DH's slippers, wellies, and yesterday my glasses! He also likes the ball you put food in, but my older dog always gets the treats before he does!

An extra walk a day might help too, with ball games and stimulation.

LBOCS2 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:21:36

This is what my chewy puppy did before we found the antlers. I was not impressed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now