puppy eating poo

(5 Posts)
ComeonSummer1 Fri 19-Feb-16 17:12:47

Hi have 8 month old puppy who is perfect. However if she poos on her puppy mat unless you get there first she eats it. Any ideas to stop? Is it normal? Pfd smile

pigsDOfly Fri 19-Feb-16 22:46:47

Yes it is normal. The bitch will eat her puppies' poo so predators won't be attracted to the nest.

One thing I've read on here is feeding your dog pineapple. It's suppose to help stop it as they don't like the flavour. Can't tell you if it works as I've never tried it.

Not sure if there's anything you can really do to stop it. Some dogs grow out of it once they get past the puppy stage but it does seem that a great many dogs like to eat their own and other animals' poo. My dog used to eat the cats' poo from the litter tray if I wasn't quick enough, and trust me I was on the poo like a dart after the first time she did it. Used to turn my stomach every time.

Lokibuddyboo Sat 20-Feb-16 01:17:23

Feeding pineapple works.
my friends dog loved to his own poo and other dogs poo ( as it's being pooped if he could) argh. And feeding him some pineapple seemed to stop him doing it after a week.

Adarajames Sat 20-Feb-16 01:58:46

Don't use the puppy pads, toilet training can be done so much more quickly without encouraging the pup to toilet inside by providing pads; then the poo won't be there for eating

ComeonSummer1 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:48:28

Great thanks all. Will try the pineapple. And yes also see the logic regards puppy mats. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now