flea treatment

(9 Posts)
ilovesprouts Fri 19-Feb-16 08:55:32

I have a 6m old border collie he goes to the vets every month for fleas and working stuff , now on a fb page for border collies I've been told the vet should not gave my this to put on my dog he's weighs just over 10kg can anyone advise me please x

ilovesprouts Fri 19-Feb-16 09:05:47

*sorry should say working stuff blush

ilovesprouts Fri 19-Feb-16 09:06:58

Worming stuff (stupid spell checker )blushblushblushblush

georgedawes Fri 19-Feb-16 09:47:06

Is it because of possible mdr1 mutation? I use drontal and bravecto as my dog is a carrier.

ilovesprouts Fri 19-Feb-16 12:25:30

So should I ask my vet for something else then

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 19-Feb-16 13:10:24

It is the same as advocate which is tested on mdr1 dogs and claims to be safe. However, there are some collie owners who will not use any products from the avermectin family of drugs. It is one of things where the scientific evidence says it is safe, but every collie owner has to make up their own mind.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 19-Feb-16 13:11:15

Oh just spotted it is the karate dog size which is usually for over 25kg so wrong weight size go back to your vets.

georgedawes Fri 19-Feb-16 13:22:32

Yes even though advocate is on the use as directed list, no other rough collie owners I know would use it on their dogs. Maybe over cautious? But I prefer the two I mentioned above for flea/worming as my dog is a tested carrier.

ilovesprouts Fri 19-Feb-16 15:34:59

This is the amount he has

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now