clicker training classes?

(7 Posts)
Dieu Fri 19-Feb-16 01:00:36

Hi. Very excited, as a dog training class is starting up in my area. Previously I used to have to take pup on the bus, as there were none nearby. The local one is a clicker training class specifically, but I don't know very much about this. My dog is 9 months old, and has only ever attended a basic puppy class when he was a bit younger.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, tips and experiences (prior to booking!).
Many thanks ... as always.

Dieu Fri 19-Feb-16 01:09:29

Have been doing a bit of research. So you click and reward when the desired behaviour is taking place. It will be interesting to see how it works initially, in encouraging them to do the right thing in the first place! Heaps of practice, I guess.

nattyknitter Fri 19-Feb-16 02:18:14

That's essentially it and oddly it works.

We learnt things in a very set order and mine at nearly 10 with go through all of the things we did in the right order in an attempt to get her own way. (Usually she wants what I am eating). She does it with much fidgeting, drama and noise to make sure you notice her doing it. Quite funny really and very rarely ever works.

Despite not doing any clicker training for years I tried to teach her something new last month and she got it straight away.

ScattyHattie Fri 19-Feb-16 02:47:43

dogmantics.com/about-clicker-training/

There's lots of good clicker training videos Emily Larlham has done on youtube under kikopup.

I found my dogs learnt much quicker with clicker training and i also found it easier to work out how to teach something in stages. You can also free shape by marking a behavior they already do, i did that to teach bow by clicking when my dog did a stretch. Its nice to see the cogs whirring to work out what they did so they can get some more click/treats. You can use voice too not just the clicker box although that's more a consistent sound.

I suppose its difficult if its a brand new class but generally its a good idea to go along & watch a trainer in action (minus dog) before signing up to make sure its going to be right for you/your dog. I went to an awful one once they'd told me on the phone was all positive reward based but was more Barbara Woodhouse style, we left sharpish!

LilCamper Fri 19-Feb-16 08:02:28

Clicker training rocks.

throckenholt Fri 19-Feb-16 08:09:26

clicker training works - but you have to train yourself first ! I found myself clicking at the wrong time - too late or too soon - and confusing both myself and my mutt smile

Dieu Fri 19-Feb-16 11:17:53

Thanks everyone. That's what I'm worried about therockenholt, as my coordination is rubbish. Definitely some sort of delay there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now