Poo bags!

(22 Posts)
Pigeonpost Sun 14-Feb-16 14:14:48

We are 7 months into dog ownership and I feel uneducated when it comes to poo bags. At the moment I tend to buy rolls of cheapo bags from Aldi/eBay etc. The dog gets through about 20-25 bags a week I reckon as she saves all her poos for her walks but I seem to be constantly running out. Today I was down to using nappy sacks (which appear to be much the same thing but way cheaper).

So, I was looking online for bulk buying poo bags and whilst this is possible, I got distracted by biodegradable/compostable ones. If the dogs poos in the garden we pick it up with toilet roll and flush it. If we poos when we are out it goes in a designated dog poo bin or other public bin if no dog poo bins around. What happens to these bins? Do they just get dumped into landfill with all the other non-biodegradable stuff where they last forever? Is there actually any benefit to using biodegradable dog poo bags? Who is going to put compostable dog poo bags into their compost bin?

Please share any words of wisdom!

Quoteunquote Sun 14-Feb-16 14:45:21

Our local pound shop does a range of really decent ones.

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 14-Feb-16 15:12:06

I think waste in the doo poo bins goes to landfill - it's treated as hazardous waste. Biodegradable bags will break down more quickly. Flushing is probably the best option, and you can get flushable bags but they are £££.

You can compost dog waste but it doesn't appeal to me at all.

I use supermarket own brand nappy sacks as they are cheaper and just as strong, but not great for the environment

puppydogmummy Sun 14-Feb-16 18:52:01

I use bio d poo bags or food bags and put poo in our brown garden waste bin, if out it just goes in whatever bin I come to first. What makes me mad is seeing PPP bags littering thexside of the road where someone had gone to trouble of using a bag but can't be arsed using nearest bin.... GRRR!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 14-Feb-16 18:52:59

I think the rolls are a bit of a swizz. They're also a bit of a pain for me because my fingers are rubbish in the cold and trying to coax a poo bag open in the freezing wind is no fun at all. I use Tesco dog poo bags which are biodegradable and open each one before I put them in my pocket. Every pocket of every coat I own is full of painstakingly pre-opened Tesco dog poo bags smile.

Dieu Sun 14-Feb-16 19:02:23

The best thing I ever bought was a bone shaped poo bag holder that clips onto pup's lead. No more forgotten bags! I got mine at Poundland. It also came with a couple of rolls that you pop straight in.

JacksSkellington Sun 14-Feb-16 20:03:15

Puppydogmummy are you sure you can put dog poo in your garden waste bin? You definitely aren't allowed to where we live, so I'm curious smile

KinkyAfro Sun 14-Feb-16 21:42:05

We aren't either jacks it has to go in our general waste bin

Pigeonpost Sun 14-Feb-16 21:44:49

AnUtter: yes they are a total bugger to open aren't they?! I'm wondering about just stocking up on nappy sacks, so much cheaper. Asda Smartprice ones are 35p for 300! And they aren't on a roll so easier to open. Thinner I guess but I'm yet to put a finger through one (would only want to make that mistake once.... grin shock).

Lokibuddyboo Mon 15-Feb-16 01:24:41

In Wales you can get free bio degradable dog poo bags free from any public library.
Don't know if this is the same in other parts of the UK.
I've also used food waste bags if I've run out of the free dog poo bags and haven't had time to pop to the library for more.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 15-Feb-16 07:44:03

Tesco value nappy sacks 500 for some ridiculously low price. We keep 2 or 3 in our pockets at all times. I do have 2 dc still in nappies so it saves buying what is essentially the same product twice & given her deposits are rather large it means they can fit in wink

mogloveseggs Mon 15-Feb-16 07:48:31

We get ours from the town hall usually. Really strong. Couldn't use nappy sacks as mastiff poo would drop straight out the bottom as it's heavy grin

Pigeonpost Mon 15-Feb-16 09:28:44

Ewww to the mastiff poo! We're only dealing with spaniel poo grin

AnUtterIdiot Mon 15-Feb-16 10:03:59

Greyhound poo is, as you would expect, slim and delicate grin

PS DH and I have at least one poo conversation a day and we don't even have any kids yet.

Wordsmith Mon 15-Feb-16 14:25:51

Another vote for nappy sacks. Much cheaper! And if you can put nappies into general waste you should be able to put dog poo as well. You can also put them into normal bins out and about if no dog bins are present. Anything other than leaving the poo out or - perhaps even worse as I saw this morning in the park - picking it up in a dog poo bag and then leaving the bag on the ground - just 20 yards from a poo bin!

soulnotasoldier Mon 15-Feb-16 14:57:01

Another vote for nappy sacks - but some makes are more durable than others. BTW my setters do 5 poos each per walk...

And some councils give away free bags at libraries etc if you're not proud to accept them?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 15-Feb-16 15:07:35

we use tesco value nappy sacks...i think the rules here are double bagged and in household rubbish, so we have an old bathroom pedal bin in the corner of the garden....lined with a bin bag, and then the bagged jobs go in there.

In the summer they go straight out to the main bin.

If we are out on a pocket free walk I tend to double bag and I have a small cylindrical peg bag that is perfect to clip onto donkey dog's harness, so the stinky monkey can carry his own makings! ..and spare poo bags. Generally though every pocket has a minimum of 3 poobags, there's usually a least half a pack in each car and also spare ones in the bathroom so we never ever really run out.

kelpeed Wed 17-Feb-16 02:12:32

we just use those thin crackly plastic bags the fruit and vegetables come in. FREE.
FOlds up in the treat bag nicely and you only need to carry a few at a time.

WhoaCadburys Wed 17-Feb-16 02:31:18

Nappy bags here for home poos. They go out with general waste. For walk poos I use biodegradable, larger ones as the nappy bags are flimsy. I often judge the weather on whether it is a good poo day (frosty ground = perfect poo picking up day, rainy day = escape artist runny poo day).

PUGaLUGS Sun 21-Feb-16 19:49:54

I buy lavender scented bio degradable ones from Homesense. There are quite a few rolls in a box - these rolls fit into a little bone shaped holder that is attached to her lead.

If out we out they go into a council bin, if she poos in the garden the poo bags go in our normal waste bin. In the summer however I pop a plastic bag into a small compost bin and put the poo bags in there and every few days will take the plastic bag out and put it into a council bin in the village - these are emptied way more than our bins - which are every other week.

Twinsareplenty Mon 22-Feb-16 11:27:31

Nappy sacks here when out. I agree they do seem to save it up for the walks. I reckon 50% end up on a ten yard stretch about 400 yards from home too.
Breakthrough can be a problem on some surfaces with nappy sacks, and double bagging may be required. Ewww.
Baby wipes can be a useful accessory!

almostthirty Mon 22-Feb-16 11:31:25

I use nappy bags as they seem to be bigger and cheaper.
I used to have a bone clipped onto the lead like dieu but I found it cheaper to buy a whole new bone which came with 4 rolls of bags rather than buying the refills which seemed a huge waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now