chew recommendation

(7 Posts)
bigbutsrus1 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:16:08

Starting to get things ready for new arrival. Whippet, will be 8-9 weeks when he comes home. Bought bed etc today in pets at home, had a deer antler but the check out lady advised against it until he is older. What would recommend for chewy toys things for a little one? Thanks!!

TrionicLettuce Sat 13-Feb-16 17:39:27

My whippet pups have all had access to antlers and Anco Roots from the day they arrive home and never had any issues. You can get smaller, softer ones if you're worried about a full sized one being too much for them.

I don't usually bother with puppy specific toys and chews and they inevitably end up stolen and destroyed by the older ones hmm Kong Squeezz and Squeezz Jel toys have always gone down well (and survived well!!) with both adults and puppies.

Springermum1350 Sat 13-Feb-16 18:34:38

I have to say I didn't worry about it either but I steered clear of the antlers as they seemed harder and just stuck with the normal chews. He didn't bite off big chunks which I suppose would be a concern but nothing ever happened.

Pippin8 Sat 13-Feb-16 20:29:46

We got the smaller puppy antlers for ours at 8 weeks, but she didn't really bother with them until 12 weeks. She's 16 weeks now & I rub coconut oil on them for her as I find its helping with her teething.

Lokibuddyboo Sun 14-Feb-16 00:20:18

My father's whippet loved a puppy tug rope to chew on. Kong make I think.

suz1rr Sun 14-Feb-16 09:17:46

Personally I'd avoid the antler chews, my Ridgeback fractured a back molar on one at 4 months of age, and I've since heard of several other dogs doing the same. Kongs are great, and look into antos chews, 100% vegetable and softer than antlers and dogs love them. Good luck, my MIL has a whippet, shes adorable!

WeAllHaveWings Sun 14-Feb-16 09:24:45

We had an antler for our lab and it splintered and cut his mouth quite badly.

Avoid anything rawhide as they are full of nasties.

Kongs are great. We had some plastic/nylon puppy chews which were ok, but he seemed to prefer sofas, skirting boards, carpets, shoes and his bed.

If you get any soft/rope toys keep a close eye on them as it's surprising how quickly some pups can destroy and get to the squeaky bit or eat the rope strands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now