TTC and considering a second dog - would this be complete madness?

(4 Posts)
WonderOnTheUp Wed 10-Feb-16 21:36:41

Hello! I'm looking for some advice and experience from people who are wiser than me!

I currently have ds8 and a Labrador cross (approx 6 years old). I have wanted a second dog for a while (specifically a puppy as always had adult rescue dogs and would like a puppy blank canvas for a change). It looks as though a litter will be available in May and I'm sorely tempted.

DH thinks it would be madness to get a puppy first and we should wait until after we have/if we have another baby. I think it makes more sense to have one now as we would have time to train him/her before the baby.

We had two adult dogs previously and that was fine. DH works away regularly and worries that I wouldn't cope with a new baby and 2 dogs.

So who is right - me or DH? Or should we just enjoy our lovely (bonkers) dog and not make things harder?!

Wolfiefan Wed 10-Feb-16 21:38:00

It depends how soon you are going to TTC. If it's soon then I wouldn't. A new baby and a new puppy? Yikes.

ApplesTheHare Wed 10-Feb-16 21:40:37

Ooof puppy and baby would be SO hard. I really struggled with baby DD and 5-yo DDog even though he is a saint and sleeps for about 16 hours a day. It's easier now DD's 18mo.

WonderOnTheUp Wed 10-Feb-16 21:52:45

I hear you loud and clear! Seems DH is right then - damn!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now