Can I foster a dog with children?

(6 Posts)
CatatonicSonic Wed 03-Feb-16 10:52:32

I had a dog 2 years ago that ended up we living with family because I went through a tough time.

I really miss having a dog but am worried about committing to full dog ownership again even though my situation is much improved.

A friend suggested I might try fostering. But I have children aged 5 to 11.

Would I be able to foster? I am in the North West.

I am a SAHM so have plenty of time.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 03-Feb-16 11:17:02

You can ask - depends on the rescue - but fostering is often open ended and it is basically doing everything that an owner would do. Have you considered signing up to Borrow My Doggy?

CatatonicSonic Wed 03-Feb-16 12:02:13

I understand that, I'm committed to putting the work in. I just have no guarantee of where I'll be for the next 12-15 years so something short term would be more fitting.

ScattyHattie Wed 03-Feb-16 19:37:55

I think its possible with your kids ages, though look into the rescue & check how the dogs are assessed before being placed in foster homes.
Have you considered how you will deal with the emotional side with the dog/s leaving, it maybe some rescues can offer short-term placements only but with homing it can take a while ( I had foster dog a year & adopted her as too attached). Sometimes your expected to do a bit of training though should be within what you feel comfortable with.

Wolfiefan Wed 03-Feb-16 19:38:36

How about volunteering with the Cinnamon Trust instead?

Scuttlebutter Thu 04-Feb-16 00:04:58

There will be many rescues who will be very happy to encourage you to foster. A good rescue will have a foster co-ordinator who will act as a back up and support to you. The rescue will provide food and vet care for the dog and quite often you will be expected to manage a dog post spay/neuter and attend any regular vet appointments etc.

you will be expected to provide regular reports on the dog and its behaviour - and to work with the rescue on supporting agreed standards of behaviour e.g. lots of fosters don't allow dogs on to furniture or give titbits at the table as they don't want to necessarily encourage these behaviours.

You'll be expected to have a suitable home for a dog e.g. secure garden and have the written consent of your landlord if renting. Rescue will want to understand you have a plan in place for managing interactions of small DC and dog. Good rescues provide training for foster homes - this is increasingly the case.

Not every foster home is suitable for every dog - it's perfectly OK for placements not to work out. Placements can also be for varied lengths of time - as short as one night or long term arrangements for the life of the dog. You can discuss what's suitable with the rescue.

We currently have two long term fosters and I have a number of friends who regularly foster - it's incredibly rewarding and very often you keep in touch with eventual adopters. Yes, of course you get attached, but by providing a foster place, you are helping dogs into adoption and quite possibly saving a life.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now