Help needed with changing food.

(3 Posts)
pigsDOfly Mon 01-Feb-16 21:32:00

Wonder if anyone can help me please.

My dog, 5 years old, small breed has been fed on wet food for almost her entire life.

She was on Symply and was doing really well on it but suddenly completely refused it. Started her on Natures Diet which she was okay with for a short while but then went off that so thought maybe she'd be happier with a dry food

Started her on Canagan for small breeds last Tuesday. She loved it and the changeover was all going very well until last night when we had a couple of very loose mucus covered poos (she normally only poos once a day).

I thought perhaps I'd given her a bit too much (she's not even on the minimum amount they suggest) so today I fed her one third of the total this morning, poo on her walk was fine. Then this evening immediately after the second feed she had another mucus covered runny poo.

Obviously I'm going to have to stop the Canagan but am not sure what to do now.

Should I just try starting her straight back on wet food and see how that goes (I'm getting quite a collection) or should I give her some of the Canagan and some wet food so gradually trying to get her back onto the wet food?

Also would it be okay to go on giving her a very small amount of the Canagan with the wet food in order to get her to actually eat?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm completely confused about what to do. I can't keep chopping and changing her food and don't want to try another dry food in the hope it works for her.

She's never had poo like this before and she's clearly uncomfortable.

I don't even know if it's actually the Canagan that's causing the runs. She's been a bit quiet recently and I did wonder if I should take her to the vet but she seemed to perk up today.

nmg85 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:47:11

You should always introduce new food slowly otherwise it can give them the runs. Try changing over in a week or 10 day period slowly introducing more of the new food and less of the old.

pigsDOfly Tue 02-Feb-16 12:53:29

Thanks for your reply nmg85.

No I've been doing that, I probably didn't make that clear in my post. I started last Tuesday, so a week ago, and last night she was still having the wet food as well as the new dry food. I was hoping today she could just be on the dry food.

I've made an appointment to speak to the senior practice nurse at the vet later today so I'm hoping we can get this sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now