Preparing for our new Rescue Dog - anything else?

(14 Posts)
KentonArcher Fri 29-Jan-16 16:50:20

Hi - after a lot of thought and years of debate, we're finally welcoming our new doggy friend in February half term. I've owned dogs before but before children came along (DS1 (13), DS2 (9), so quite a while ago.

In preparation for his arrival I've made sure the garden is secure, bought travel crate (he needs picking up) with vet bed and this will also act as a "safe place" for him upon arrival, bowls, lead, collar, harness, lot of other doggy things (toys, etc)

Although I work part time I'm sometimes out of the house for up to 6 hours so I've also arranged a dog sitter/company/walker. I've lined up a vet and looked at insurance. I've briefed the boys on how to treat a dog with respect (they're good boys though) and although they've offered to walk him, I'm fully prepared that I'll have to take responsibility for that! I understand he'll take a bit of time to get used to his new home (he's been fostered in a family for 3 months which is great) and I know to expect toilet accidents etc.

Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare? I'm taking time off work to settle him in and hope I've thought of everything - please, anyone any other advice?

He's 5 years old, fully vaccinated, neuteured and chipped. He's a cross, looks like some poodle, maybe some jack Russell.

Thank you - from a very excited new doggy mummy!

honeyroar Fri 29-Jan-16 18:43:57

You sound as though you're well prepared. Just remember to give him some time to settle in and you'll be fine.

Oh and show us a photo when he arrives.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 29-Jan-16 18:46:13

Training classes? I found they were a really good bonding exercise for us and our rescue spaniel.

KentonArcher Sat 30-Jan-16 17:11:41

Oh yes! Training classes! Thank you - I will look some up, great suggestion.

Will post some piccies when he arrives smile

RoosterCogburn Sat 30-Jan-16 17:37:33

Another vote for training classes - you sound really well prepared, he's a lucky dog!

Gingersstuff Sun 31-Jan-16 18:39:04

Congratulations!! We've had our Romanian rescue for 3 months. I would definitely second training classes and positive reward system. The Victoria Stilwell site (positively.com) is great for tips on rescue dogs. Please steer clear of Cesar Milan-type stuff; definitely not recommended especially for rescues.
You might also find that once dog is well settled, some repressed behaviours come to the fore. This is really common once a dog feels more secure. Just prepare for the unexpected! On the other hand, seeing a rescue blossom into the dog it was meant to be, is possibly the most rewarding thing you will ever do smile
Good luck!

KentonArcher Wed 17-Feb-16 14:03:13

Well, he's here!

KentonArcher Wed 17-Feb-16 14:05:11

Thank you Gingersstuff, missed your post before. It's been a long wait but he's finally here and your post has made me feel even more that getting a rescue was the right thing to do smile

georgedawes Wed 17-Feb-16 14:42:22

Gorgeous dog! Where did he come from? How is he settling?

MaynJune Wed 17-Feb-16 14:45:12

Utterly gorgeous!

pigsDOfly Wed 17-Feb-16 14:46:43

He's gorgeous. Looks very settled and comfy on his bed.

Peaceandloveeveryone Sun 21-Feb-16 12:17:37

He is lovely, I have just hidden another thread about dog breeding and just seen this. So happy that you rescued, what a happy ending.

groovejet Sun 21-Feb-16 14:03:57

He looks lovely, what is his name?

Hope he is settling in well.

KentonArcher Thu 03-Mar-16 20:24:40

Oh goodness, sorry everyone! I completely forgot I'd posted pics of my gorgeous Sammy!

To answer your questions, yes - he's just settled in really really well! I'm so grateful to the charity and his foster home as he really is everything they said he was.

Such a long story (well, it needn't be, but I've been questioned a lot!) but basically we found him through a charity in Gran Canaria. I knew I needed to be honest and tell charities that we would have to leave a dog for 2-3 hours a day, and that my youngest son is 9 - in this area, that meant we were prohibited from adopting a rescue dog. I was adamant I didn't want a puppy and so did A LOT of research.

I found a great charity, based as I said, in Gran Canaria. Sammy was on "death row" when he was found at the pound, his hair was long, matted and he was infested with lice and very thin. The charity rescued him, shaved him, treated him, neutered him then had him fostered and nursed back to health. Finally, he was ready to be adopted and he made the journey to the UK. They also chipped him, gave him all relevant vaccinations and provided a passport for travel. Considering all he's been through he's an absolute treasure.

He must have had a loving home at some point as he's very well trained and hasn't yet chewed or pooed in the house. Although we are still in early days and repressed behaviours still to appear!

I've taken him to the vet for a check up and they agree he is healthy and has been well looked after (for the last 3 months at least!) and estimate him to be at least 5 years old.

The only difficulty is that I think he does bark when left on his own (it hasn't been for too long yet) and he does tend to be my little shadow when I'm at home (but secretly I love that!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now