Would you recommend a whippet?

(23 Posts)
InsufficientlyCaffeinated Wed 27-Jan-16 13:40:40

From reading about the breed they seem to have the perfect temperament for us - calm, docile, not prone to excessive barking, and I've spent some time around other people's and I do love them. Just looking for second opinions - do you have or have you had a whippet? Would you recommend them as pets? DP and I are very laid back, introverted people so would like a calmer dog but we do like really long walks so can handle one that likes a good run.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 27-Jan-16 14:08:12

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/1579302-Whippet-and-cats

Watching with interest. Would love one but live in the City. Too many squirrels and small animals and easily horrified people.

TrionicLettuce Wed 27-Jan-16 14:23:12

We've got three and I absolutely would recommend them, they're wonderful little dogs!!

Long walks are no problem for them as they're very flexible when it comes to exercise. They can be satisfied with a 30 minute blast off lead but will also go for hours given the opportunity.

They are very quiet as far as barking goes but bear in mind they can be quite whiny. DWhippet1 in particular has a spectacular array of whinges, whines and crooning noises which he breaks out when he wants something i.e. whenever he's decided it's time for tea

Also, there's a warning I always give out to any prospective whippet owner; they're addictive and it seems quite rare for a whippet owner to just stop at one grin We only got DWhippet1 in 2011 and by early 2014 we had three!!

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Wed 27-Jan-16 14:59:52

I am very open to getting a posse of whippets!

That's an interesting thread on whippets with cats. I have a cat and I have read that as long as the dog is introduced to the cat as a puppy they will learn to accept them and not chase, although I am considering a rescue so will make sure to ask about a dog that has already been acquainted with cats!

Re whining: I have a very whiny cat, he's incredibly vocal and follows me around making peculiar noises for attention so perhaps if I do find a cat tolerant whippet they can whine at each other instead of me grin

pandaskitchen Wed 27-Jan-16 15:13:00

Whippets make the most fantastic pets - loving, devoted and friendly. They are mostly calm, docile and are couch potatoes. Rarely bark, hardly shed and very clean.

Agree with PP- ours has ways of making you know what she wants, and will 'ask' to go out. Last week that was mainly to play zoomies in the snow! Ours is intelligent and has learnt to open doors and a few tricks, she travels well with a harness/seat-belt on. They get on well with other dogs and love people.

They use those long front legs as arms, and ours will get anything in reach she takes a fancy too. In terms of cats- our old She cat gave her such a smack in the face when she was a pup that we haven't had any incidences, but Canada Geese appear to be fair game blush and I wouldn't trust her with small furries either. Recall is hit and miss, so if anywhere not enclosed or own property she is on an extendable lead.

They are addictive pointy nose heat seeking missiles!

LilyLilyLilyOiOiOi Wed 27-Jan-16 15:15:08

We have only had our 16 week old Whippet for a month but we all love him. BUT the crying drives me nuts. He likes to be able to see you at all times, and when he can't, it sounds like he has been shot. I am hoping he grows out of it when he realises we are always there/ will come back etc. He is gorgeous though. Think we would get a rescue next time though, puppies are HARD!

LilyLilyLilyOiOiOi Wed 27-Jan-16 15:17:21

Oh and we have a guinea pig that he has taken no notice of, and is scared of cats/ puddles/ noise/ cars....! He got scratched by my MILs cat so now won't go near one.

ppandj Wed 27-Jan-16 15:34:42

Watching with interest as I love whippets. We'd love to get a dog when we have definitely decided no more babies (couldn't cope with a baby and a puppy), we also like spaniels but whippets are just gorgeous!

Seawig Wed 27-Jan-16 17:56:37

I would love a few whippets or whippet sized lurchers in a few years time when the kids are a little older (now 5 and 7) and I can leave the kids at home at times and walk the dog and when I know more about my future work.

I have two rescue cats though so will be looking for a rare one with a low prey drive, but other than that they seem perfect for us. Can do a couple of shorter walks and run, or a whole day out. Not that clever so don't need tons of mental training to be happy. Good for warming the bed ahead of you and clean and low shed as far as any animal is (looking at you Huntercat.....dead rabbit parts and muddy paw prints all over the house.......)

ScattyHattie Wed 27-Jan-16 18:41:26

Its not that rare for sighthounds to be able to live with cats, but doesn't mean they'll also have a low prey drive out on walks though. Have known some successful racing greyhounds go on to live with cats once retired .

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 27-Jan-16 20:46:11

I adore whippets, I will have one, one day. My friend had one and she was a cracking little dog. We swore she understood english. When DD was still in a pushchair I would take her out in it to walk our dog, we'd often walk with my friend who had the whippet. On one occasion, my DD was toddling around the field we were on and she had a bag of quavers and whippy was loitering, hoping for a crisp and I said to her (the dog) 'DD has dropped a crisp in the buggy if you want to go and get that one.' And straight away, whippy turned on her tail, walked over to the buggy and ate the crisp I'd just told her about shock

TrionicLettuce Wed 27-Jan-16 21:07:47

Blatantly just sharing this for the sake of it, because my whippets are just the cutest things ever, especially when they're puppies <crosses fingers this works>

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 27-Jan-16 21:53:59

I probably shouldn't share this video of three cheeky whippets...

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 28-Jan-16 09:01:06

They are some very cheeky whippets! Better not show DP, he'll change his mind!

Trionic your bouncy little pup is adorable!

OK I'm pretty convinced right now!

bigbutsrus1 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:03:39

We made the decision! Our boy arrives home in 4 weeks......

Quodlibet Thu 28-Jan-16 09:12:41

They are wonderful dogs - I don't have one but used to dogsit our friend's. The only other word of warning I would issue is that they are heat-seeking missiles and will try very hard to get in the bed with you. You have to always check before you sit on a bed that it hasn't got a stowaway whippet in it.

Quodlibet Thu 28-Jan-16 09:13:25

The one I know curls up happily with the cat. And they got the cat second, when the whippet was 3 or 4, with no issues.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 28-Jan-16 09:24:29

Gorgeous bigbutsrus! Have you named him yet?

bigbutsrus1 Thu 28-Jan-16 12:35:38

Yes he is called Woody and is a "blue fawn" colour. I have been reading everything under the sun on whippets and training etc. Can't wait to have him home but at the same time a little anxious of how things will be! I have read lots on how crazy whippet pups can be!

Chrysanthemum5 Thu 28-Jan-16 12:38:53

Oh I would love a whippet! We had one when I was a child, and she was just the best dog ever. They have such lovely temperaments, and she loved to go for walks.

Seeing these pictures makes me want one now!

FishenNuggets Thu 28-Jan-16 13:04:10

We're going to see some whippet puppies this weekend. They're 3 weeks old. We're so excited!

We have a 10yr old cat who is grumpy at the best of times. We're hoping that they'll learn to tolerate each other! Any tips for the introductions would be fab.

I was going to show DH this thread but he'd have a heart attack if I showed him that video.

kelper Thu 28-Jan-16 13:13:55

Ive got a half whippet (the other half is not something youd necessarily think of as being bred with a whippet so i wont say as itll out me totally!) but i luffs her, she is a bit shouty though.
Recall is getting better but isnt awesome, but she is like my shadow, i cant go anywhere in the house without her followkng me, which can be a little irritating ;)
And she is an absolute bugger with beds, loves getting in them and snuggling up to the pillow!
I wouldnt trust her with anything in the garden, and she chases my mums cats (who usually turn and wallop her!) but shes soft as lights with everyone, but my god shes quick, watching her run is amazing!
She has that whippet shiver down pat, youd think she was an abused dog to look at her sometimes, and those eyes...... She is absolutely spoilt rotton though ;)

Twowrongsdontmakearight Thu 28-Jan-16 13:18:58

I don't have one but a colleague did. The most wonderful boy. Sat nicely in the front seat of the car with a doggy seatbelt and never chased the cat. Definitely thought he was a lapdog!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now