A good yet cheap seatbelt harness?

(8 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 22-Jan-16 23:43:06

Currently borrowing one off my friend, it's ok but I feel it's a little too loose around the neck but the neck part isn't adjustable. The dog in question is a very dinky Border Terrier. Car journeys are rare so I'd rather not spend a fortune on something that will hardly be worn. We've got a strap that plugs into the seatbelt clip and then clips onto the harness so we don't need that bit, just a harness.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 23-Jan-16 00:09:23

You need one which is crash tested otherwise it'd be useless in a crash - and they don't come cheap I'm afraid

We now use a crate in the car as we've tried several different car harnesses and haven't found one which Ddog can't wriggle out of in about 5 seconds flat

TrionicLettuce Sat 23-Jan-16 00:10:26

As far as I know there's only two harnesses that have actually performed well in proper testing, the Sleepypod Clickit Utility (passed the tests conducted by both the Center for Pet Safety and NRMA insurance) and the Purina Roadie (only tested by NRMA but it did pass their tests).

Most car harnesses are really only suitable for preventing a dog moving around in the car, not for protecting them (or other occupants) in the event of a crash.

Shriek Sat 23-Jan-16 11:35:45

my harnesses have short straps on them that loop through the seatbelt itself and then the seatbelt is clipped in, this means that any sudden tug would trigger the inertia seat belt to fix in exactly the same way as when you pull it out too quick for yourself, or in a sharp stop, this would stop ddogs flying all over car, but its only mildly effective at stopping ddogs wandering around car if you allow your ddogs inside the seated area of the car and they wander around.
Even with a strap harness on i still always feel happier with mine secured in the boot, and having a guard, or at least a strong net.

Shriek Sat 23-Jan-16 11:37:09

with dpups I use an Ancol one with a very broad 'breast plate' to hold their bodies gently, but again loop it through a belt or another suitable fixing in the boot space.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 23-Jan-16 15:37:44

Not sure if big dog would be happy about sharing the boot, wouldn't want arguments breaking out while I'm driving and can't do anything.

Floralnomad Sat 23-Jan-16 16:51:00

Mine has an RAC advance car harness ,small size is about £10 , our car isn't suitable for having a dog in the boot and my dog likes to see out of the windows .

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 28-Jan-16 14:20:35

I was having a hunt around the internet for harnesses and on ebay I came across a brand new, still sealed RAC advance harness in the size we need. I won it for 99p grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now