Heavy duty lead please

(11 Posts)
SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 13-Jan-16 16:08:07

Hello,

We have a giant breed who is usually docile and well behaved. Occasionally she sees something exciting and will suddenly try to make a mad dash for it. She has a ruffwear harness and has just broken her second Rokstrap heavy duty lead this year. angry the guy in the pet shop still maintains this is the best lead for us but I'm not really happy to buy a third.

Any recommendations?

anxious123 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:34:46

A horse lead rope.

TrionicLettuce Wed 13-Jan-16 19:56:28

I was also going to suggest getting a horse lead rope. Something like this one, it has a handle on the end so is pretty much identical to a dog lead just made for something much bigger and stronger!!

BlackMarigold Wed 13-Jan-16 20:00:32

How did the Rokstrap lead break?
I've got a large dog that I can't trust if there are cats about, so use this lead. I fasten it like in the 5th picture, to chest and back, so have a lot of control.
My other dog never chases anything but I use a halti lead for him as well. Useful when walking the 2 dogs together. I attach it to his collar, other end is clipped to one of the lead rings and I can wear it cross-body. So have both hands free to control the cat chasing dog.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 13-Jan-16 22:25:27

The first one the elastic tore away from the handle, today the metal clasp (is it called a g clip?) broke into two pieces.

Some good suggestions here, thanks!

TheMotherOfHellbeasts Thu 14-Jan-16 08:26:39

We have three giant breed rescue dogs (two Caucasian Ovcharkas and a Fila Brasiliero) and when we first rescued each of them (at the time they were all fairly wild raging demons!) I used chain leads, very, very thick heavy duty chain. We're not in the UK, so I'm not sure where you'd get anything similar.

One of the first things I did was to make sure that all of our dogs were trained to walk calmly at heel at all times, no matter what, unless they were given permission otherwise. Without meaning to be rude, perhaps more training so that you don't get hauled around? If its icy or slippery you could get badly hurt by your dog trying to make sudden dashes.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 14-Jan-16 10:03:34

Did you see in my OP I mentioned she's usually well behaved? She's obedient 99% of the time. The two problems we have are
1. She is very gun shy. Any loud bangs terrify her. She's seen a behaviouralist and it's better than it was but she does panic still occasionally.
2. Running cats, she just loves to chase them. Our cats inside are fine - they snuggle up and are best of friends. If I notice the car first and ask her to sit she will, but if I don't then she gets excited and makes a mad lunge for them.

She used to pull on the lead when walking but has been trained out of that now.

Bubble2bubble Thu 14-Jan-16 10:41:42

I have a large ( though not giant ) dog and also use the Halti double ended leads in Trionic's link. Ddog3 weighs 32kg and can be a lunger, but these leads show no signs of wear yet. Gentle on your hands as well.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 14-Jan-16 11:37:22

I think I'm going to order the halti but save the horse lead link in case I need it in future. I like the idea that I can clip it onto both sections of her harness so there's always a back up.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me smile

mrslaughan Thu 14-Jan-16 17:31:18

I have a giant breed(60kg - so not massive) but very powerful..... When I need absolute control, I use a dogmatic - with a hunter lead - that changes length.....like a police training lead ..... I ordered it off eBay.
The elastic leads didn't work for me...... I felt "pinged" by them.
I prefer the dogmatic to a halti , as it doesn't tighten around the muzzle and can't ride up into his eyes.
Hth

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 14-Jan-16 17:38:50

Ooh thank you, off to google I go smile

Has anyone tried a ruffwear lead? I'm so happy with their harness I'm drawn to the rest of their stuff...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now