Little dog gives me hear failure

(16 Posts)
anxious123 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:07:45

My beautiful little dog suddenly lost his co ordination for approx two minutes, followed by bringing up some bile approx 10 mins later. Phoned vet, told to monitor at home and offer chicken... He's been quiet but he's had some chicken. He's very subdued can my little man have some lovely feel better soon vibes and can I have a hand to hold please.

Bloody animals!!!!!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 12-Jan-16 19:23:13

Hand holding. Hope he's ok. Are you taking him for a check up in the morning?

anxious123 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:50:09

Yup. 9.30 adorabelle

ChairRider4 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:15:36

Oh no hope has a calm night X

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Tue 12-Jan-16 22:28:51

Hi, this happened to our 2 year old King Charles/Poodle on about 5 occasions, sometimes when she has been resting, sometimes exercising, frightened the life out of us. She has now had MRI scan and vets said she has epilepsy. She has now been on medication for 2 months and is fine. After these episodes, she is fine albeit a bit shaken. How old is your dog?

anxious123 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:36:00

Roughly 3-4 year's old

Shriek Tue 12-Jan-16 23:02:44

i would take your ddog to bed with you unless you are happy to sit up and literally watch. This would be my plan if there is any suspicion of fitting, with all manner of potential causes, can be epilepsy but can be poison too.

Anything out of the ordinary today? been out in garden, or access to anything strange?

Shriek Tue 12-Jan-16 23:03:43

Is this something particular to the breed?

anxious123 Wed 13-Jan-16 04:49:19

He sleeps with me anyway (I know, I know) so we did indeed come to bed, where he was even more cuddly than usual.

He'd been out in the garden but to be honest, nothing's changed out there and he didn't pick anything up either there or on his walks...wasn't fussed on being out as it rained most of the day and he hates it.

He's been fine over night and is bouncing around like normal now so God only knows what that was all about. So see what the vet says in a few hours at his check up.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 13-Jan-16 11:30:44

How did you get on?

Shriek Wed 13-Jan-16 11:37:33

thats good news then! Because of the odd coordination i would be interested to hear what the vet has to say.

I would tend to think that he must've found something odd and eaten it because of the vomit, but not having had ddogs with any form of epilepsy couldn't tell for sure, just not seen people with epilepsy have vomitting as part of it. hope no other issues now for him.

anxious123 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:04:39

Vet took a blood sample and said to keep him on a bland diet and keep him quiet if possible. His poo is still lose and he binged on grass earlier so still on the poorly side.

Shriek Wed 13-Jan-16 21:15:34

i think this sounds like good news, as its pointing more toward a bug/toxin than epilepsy or other sinister involvements.

Can you boil up some rice with complete chicken joints in? Don't throw the water away, let him have it cooled to drink it will help immensely with easily absorbed nutrients, hydration and lining the digestive tract. then scrape chicken off bone and use the meat only to mix with the rice to feed him until tum is settled.

fingers crossed nothing to worry on the bloods front. when will you know?

anxious123 Thu 14-Jan-16 05:24:27

Vet said he should have them back today or tomorrow.

Shriek Sun 17-Jan-16 12:50:59

any news there anxious ?

anxious123 Sun 17-Jan-16 13:12:12

Nothing abnormal in his blood screen so none the wiser unfortunately or fortunately depends whether it's a one off or not thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now