A question about dog poo!

(16 Posts)
muddymary Fri 08-Jan-16 19:38:05

I'm going to show my ignorance here but I'm not sure if every town has a town moor - in case they don't, the one near us is public land but farmers graze cows etc on it. So lots of cows but not private and not a farm!

Anyway, I walk The dog there everyday and always pick up her poo but I've noticed lots of other people don't . Then today, she pooed on top of a cow poo and I wondered what's the point picking it up when the place is covered in giant cow pats anyway.

So in short, if it was a naturally shitty area, would you still pick your dog's up?

KinkyAfro Fri 08-Jan-16 19:45:46

Yes

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 08-Jan-16 19:50:08

Technically, agricultural land is exempt from dog fouling legislation, but I think you should always pick up.

Wombat87 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:20:00

One of mine actually shat on what seemed to be an existing pile of dog doodoo. I left that. Am not ashamed!

Otherwise yeah I pick it up, regardless of what the surrounding area is unless I forgot bags which happened once or twice

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 08-Jan-16 20:34:00

If I had a dog, I'd pick up any poo it left on the town moor. Cowpats are very different to dog poo (although I wouldn't want to step in either).

I wouldn't let my kids runs around on the grass in the town moor due to the cowpat issue though. Whenever we've walked through we've had to play dodge the cowpat on the path.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 08-Jan-16 20:45:33

I walk Hound through cow-laden fields regularly and pick up his crap if on the grass. If he does it under a hedge (or, his favourite, on top of a bush) then I leave it.

Wolfiefan Fri 08-Jan-16 20:46:49

If a dog poos. You pick it up.

mrslaughan Fri 08-Jan-16 21:22:43

Where I walk my dog - a national trust estate..... Lots of woods. The advertised preferred method is to stick and flick..... That's what they want you to do , as it's too large an area to have poo bins and people just put the poo in the bag and leave it in trees or on the edge of the path - where it sits and sits.
If I am (unusually) in a area like a village green etc I will always pick up, and take it with me too the appropriate bin.

muddymary Fri 08-Jan-16 22:53:38

I need to ask - what is stick and flick!?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 09-Jan-16 08:12:08

Where there are cows you should actually be even more vigilant as dog faeces can contain organisms that can cause abortion in cows. We have common land that we can walk dogs on and is also grazed it has large posters reminding us of this.

negrilbaby Sat 09-Jan-16 21:08:57

Muddymary - 'stick and flick' means find a stick and flick the poo into the undergrowth!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 09-Jan-16 21:29:13

I think herbivore manure is less offensive and possibly more useful than dog poo. Certainly at our stables outsiders are constantly found lurking near the muckheap with plastic bags and trowels. (I think they think it's a commodity of immense value: actually we're desperate for people to take it away for nothing)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 09-Jan-16 21:36:14

If I can find it I pick it up, one of them is very ninja in the long grass.

I then double bag twist it, so it ends up triple wrapped and if I have the dog bag it goes in there, or clipped onto his harness, or if I am going there and back I leave it and collect on the way back (or the next day on the odd occasion I have changed my mind and gone on a full round route instead)

SunnyL Sat 09-Jan-16 22:01:10

We have a field where half the dog walkers pick up and half dont. Thankfully no kids pkay there but I have to walk the dog with my 2 year old and it winds me up no end that I have to watch carefully where she walks.

The farmer doesn't seem bothered though.

BallyGoBackwards Tue 12-Jan-16 10:58:59

My pet hate is people who bag their dog poo and then fling it into trees. Then winter comes and leaves fall from trees and all you can see is bags of dog shite swinging from branches!!!!! This happens alot and I have seen it in loads of places. Dopes!!

Collaborate Tue 12-Jan-16 14:34:26

No excuse for not picking up the dog poo, whatever the circumstance. Dog poo is dangerous, especially to children, in a way that cow poo isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now