Puppy and cat

(3 Posts)
DionChappie Fri 08-Jan-16 12:17:55

It's week 6 and my 6 month puppy still won't let my cat anywhere near him. I bought a crate and tried bringing the cat down while he was in there but he gets so anxious. The cat is also fearful and runs away when he starts barking. I feel stuck. Any ideas anyone?

Crumpet1 Fri 08-Jan-16 14:40:45

Are you alone or do you have someone that can help you? I hold on to my puppy and stroke him or play a game while the cats are wandering around. I always make sure they have somewhere high to jump on to to escape if they feel they need to.
From what I've read you need a good year of never letting puppy chase the cats, always holding him back and being positive wig good behaviour and let the cats do the walking.

DionChappie Fri 08-Jan-16 17:08:23

Thanks crumpet. I have a child and he helps me. He's a big lab puppy and pretty strong. He won't even let her downstairs. He did to begin with and I held on to his collar. He gets really anxious when she ventures down and after he's gone ballistic he looks to me for reassurance. He sometimes has a wee on the carpet too. Ive noticed the hair stands up on his back too when he sees her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now