anyone else got a dog that refuses to toilet on garden?

(15 Posts)
SaggingTits Tue 05-Jan-16 00:03:07

Just that ^ really. I'm sick to death of doing 4 dog walks a day, starting the moment I get up. Especially in this weather.

I think it's an extension of being house-trained? Anyone else's dog like this? I've never encountered one! And how can I get her to go out there?

knobblyknee Tue 05-Jan-16 00:07:44

Is it the grass she refuses to use, and prefers concrete? If so put out some slabs at the farthest end and try that. Plus some of her poop will help.

SaggingTits Tue 05-Jan-16 00:10:38

It's concrete but we have tried adding piles of leaves, her own toilet and other dogs wee and pop. Still nothing. We had a huge shared garden that was all grass before we moved and she didn't go there either.

SaggingTits Tue 05-Jan-16 00:11:05

Wee and poo*

ChairRider4 Tue 05-Jan-16 06:50:05

Mine will wee under protest but only after he asked to go out and I ignored but won't poop unless he is really desperate as in unwell

Friendlystories Tue 05-Jan-16 07:01:10

Mine are the opposite! Refuse to poo on walks, will only go in garden which is stressful if we go out for the day as I'm constantly worrying that they're desperate to go or will have an accident in the car. Really upset them when we slabbed the garden recently too as they both prefer to go on grass, both held it as long as possible before admitting defeat and having to go even had a few poo in house incidents and took them 2 or 3 weeks before they were back to toileting normally. Can be just as awkward the other way round, why do they have to be so bloody picky?!! confused

InFlagranteDelicto Tue 05-Jan-16 07:01:16

Mine refuses to use the grass, and prefers the path, the decking or the patio. I get rather cross when she leaves landmines outside the back door! She's a pest. T'other one uses the grass without issue.

digerd Tue 05-Jan-16 19:10:17

My previous girl would only wee over other dog's wee and didn't seem interested in doing it in her own garden.

My current girl will wee on the front grass but wees lots more often on the dog walks where other dogs have weed. It's like she is leaving her calling card for the other dogs. grin

none of my dogs has weed on concrete - only grass or piles of large leaves.

Varya Tue 05-Jan-16 19:13:37

I have a Lab bitch who was no allowed to wee or poo in her previous owners' garden. It did not take her long to adapt to using our garden.

HoundPaws Tue 05-Jan-16 19:52:30

Mine hates wet grass and gravel, she prefers concrete. Maybe because she came from an urban home before.

DickDewy Tue 05-Jan-16 19:56:36

Mine! We absolutely have not trained him to do this - when he was training as a pup he obviously did all his doings on the lawn.

He is let out last thing at night into the garden but just hides around a corner for the requisite time and comes back in - knowing he gets a bed time treat.

He seems to have great control over his bladder as he only gets one long walk a day (sometimes 2).

littlehayleyc Tue 05-Jan-16 21:42:01

My old dog Murphy was the same. Even if he got me up in the night cos he was ill and desperate he would try to escape rather than poo in the garden! I used to have to walk up the road to the nearest bit of grass and he'd go there. With a lot of faffing about and wandering round thw garden he may occassionally do a wee if really desperate! No idea why he was like that as he was a rescue but we never managed to get him out of the habit

insan1tyscartching Wed 06-Jan-16 21:52:02

Eric doesn't use the garden either,he stopped using it once he started having decent walks. He must have a a bladder of steel though because it's sometimes 12 hours from the walk around the block before bed until first walk after school run next morning.

Madblondedog Wed 06-Jan-16 21:58:53

Mine will only go on grass, it's like he thinks pavement feels too like tiles under his paws so it's not allowed or something

SaggingTits Thu 07-Jan-16 00:11:31

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Now off to walk 10minutes to the nearest bit of grass. Ah well, at least my garden stays clean I suppose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now