Advocate spot on - strange reactions?

(7 Posts)
Panicmode1 Mon 04-Jan-16 07:26:33

My vet advised me to use Advocate flea treatment every month and also Drontal for worming every three months (for my golden). The first few times were fine but now she absolutely hates having it applied, whines and whimpers and backs away in absolute terror - does it sting when applied? She also pants really hard for an hour or so after application and is very sleepy the next day or so.....I'm thinking that this isn't a good reaction and I should find something else for her - but I was also told that Frontline isn't effective any more and that Advocate is about the only effective flea treatment.

Can anyone else advise what worming/flea treatment works for them please?

BubsandMoo Mon 04-Jan-16 07:33:16

You're best off speaking to your vet about your concerns, so she can advise you on the best prevention plan for your dog given her individual/local parasite risks, also so she can discuss your suspicions around reaction to advocate with you (whether it does seem like a true physiological reaction rather than a behavioural response) and potentially report a suspected adverse reaction through the proper channels so the pharmaceutical company receives the feedback.

Is your dog pedigree retriever?

SteppingonLego Mon 04-Jan-16 07:42:22

Agree with informing your vet. They should report it and can suggest an alternative. I'd be wary of other spot ons though - not saying it will happen again but the reaction may be to the alcohol base that they all have to make them evaporate faster. There are some other effective products around such as Bravecto - very new and is given as a tablet/treat every 3 months or possibly a collar (Seresto is good one). But if you use those you may need to swap the wormer to one that protects against lungworm as the products I've mentioned cover fleas and ticks only whereas advocate does fleas and lungworm amongst others (but not ticks). Hope thats not too confusing!

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 04-Jan-16 07:57:03

My 2 hate having it applied too and I'm not surprised. It reeks (they have such sensitive noses it must be hell) and god knows what it feels like as it has stripped the leather off a sofa, melted paintwork and my nail varnish!!

Panicmode1 Mon 04-Jan-16 08:04:41

Thanks - yes, she is a pedigree retriever.

I am due to take her to the vet for her booster injections this week so will mention it to them then and discuss alternatives. The tablet sounds great - but as you say, if it doesn't do lungworm then I will need to find an alternative.

Crickey riding - that doesn't sound good - I've never used it on anything other than the dog wink but if it's doing that to furniture, no wonder she hates it.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 04-Jan-16 09:03:23

Milbemax is a wormer tablet and covers all worms including lungworm.

Would need separate flea etc treatment.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 04-Jan-16 18:31:03

My dog had an increasingly strong reaction to advocate- the last time we gave it to him he was agitated, panting and pacing for hours. The vet suggested it was a reaction to the carrier rather than the drug itself but even so agreed that we shouldn't give it to him again. We've been giving him bravecto along with Milbemax for lungworm and that seems to be doing the trick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now