Old girl seemed to go dizzy last night. Advice needed, please.

(6 Posts)
QueenMolotov Thu 24-Dec-15 07:46:31

Our 11.5yo Staffie seemed to suddenly go dizzy as she went outside last night. It was dark, the room was messier than usual (so she had no navigate her way past toys) but she listed left sideways into two dining chairs then left sideways again as she sent out of the door. This continued as she was outside.

When she came in though, she was fine and the listing stopped. DH did some 'tests' by throwing her ball to her on each side and she retrieved it, no problem. She seems fine now with no signs of listing. She's eating and drinking as usual.

What could this be - does anyone know? What do I need to look out for?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 24-Dec-15 08:48:24

Several different things ranging from ear infection to vestibular syndrome. It would be worth getting her checked today before the holidays start.

QueenMolotov Thu 24-Dec-15 12:49:31

Thank-you for your reply. She's had no more of it today, thankfully. I'll see if I can get her in to see the vet. She had to have an emergency spay this time last year so it's kind of becoming a Christmas tradition for her confused

abetterhairbrushisneeded Mon 28-Dec-15 09:18:01

Hope your pooch is ok. My older dog did this last summer. She'd been fine and then suddenly she was listing and shaking her head (you haven't mentioned head shaking). It went away in the few hours before we were able to get her to the vet, but vet diagnosed an ear infection. We used the medication she prescribed but it never seemed to clear the visible gunk completely and dog is fine so I've never been fully convinced that the diagnosis was correct. How's your dog?

QueenMolotov Mon 28-Dec-15 19:42:26

Thanks for asking, hairbrush. Our dog has been fine ever since but we were unable to get a vet appointment before Xmas, so I'm still not sure what it was all about. We are keeping a very close eye on her and enjoying every second with her, as every minute since her (successful) emergency op last year is extra time.

abetterhairbrushisneeded Thu 31-Dec-15 21:46:46

Glad to hear it. I know when mine had her funny turn it took ages for me to relax but all it takes is for her to look odd for a split second and I'm back to wondering what it was that she suffered from all over again. Hope it doesn't return for either of our girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now