You know when you have a dog when...

(24 Posts)
knackered69 Wed 21-Oct-15 16:12:02

Always had a dog when a child until age 18. Just got my beautiful rescue doggy Daisy. She has settled really well and is an absolute delight. But it has brought back so many fond memories and things deffo change

At work the other day, I was in a meeting and someone opened their briefcase and out fell a well chewed badger. She blushed madly, and I gave her a knowing smile, and in the break we swapped doggie pics grin

So my life has changed in the following ways...

You go to the shop and pull out a carrier bag - 6 (spare) poo bags fall out...

You find errant well washed spare poo bags in the bottom of the washing machine.

You have to spell out the word s-q-u-i-r-r-e-l-l.

The children ask for a treat/snack and you wonder if you can get away with offering them a dentistix.

The children come home from school and the dog knows the exact time they are due back.

The children greet the dog before you!

The hallway is a sea of drying mud.

Any other thoughts /contributions? smile

wonderingwhetherto Wed 21-Oct-15 16:16:09

Agree with all of the above! Plus that little twinge of sadness you feel when out and about (without dog) and you put your hand in your pocket to find one of their favourite treats... Oh and that lovely, furry, biscuity smell when you bury your nose in their fur.

knackered69 Wed 21-Oct-15 16:19:34

Ooh yes! am always finding dog treats - and they do smell delicious! grin

fruitlovingmonkey Wed 21-Oct-15 16:30:38

Ooh yes! Also...
Everything you own is covered in fur.
You miss morning walkies when you are on holiday.
You know lots of people in the neighbourhood but only know their dog's names.
You judge people by how much they love dogs, e.g. late/ dopey workmen can completely redeem their character with a good pat.
You are watched with intent whilst eating every meal.

chelle792 Wed 21-Oct-15 16:32:32

You know you have a dog when you use a microwave as a safety deposit box

AnotherDame Wed 21-Oct-15 16:33:57

You can't leave the house without being blessed with a wet nose/mouth smear across your clothes.

This is a really great thread that I think every potential dog owner should read but in particular the 10th post down by Hutch6 really sums up what it's like to have a dog
www.petforums.co.uk/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-dog-puppy-the-realities.134055/page-2

sparechange Wed 21-Oct-15 16:47:58

You sit in important work meetings subtly picking dog hair off your suit.

You know which pubs, cafes and restaurants are dog friendly more than you know which ones are child friendly

Holidays are booked around when the dog sitting is available rather than when the destination hotel is available (and dog sitters are chosen based on who best indulges the daily need for photos and facetime blush, Thanks sparebrother!)

Meal planning has to take into account what the dog can eat as well

When you are home and the dog isn't, it just feels empty

MagratGarlikAgain Wed 21-Oct-15 16:52:32

When your youngest DS gets tearful when saying goodbye to the dog, because DS is going on a sleepover, whilst he says goodbye to me with a cheery, " I'll see you tomorrow then" and a wave.

nightmarehair Wed 21-Oct-15 16:54:41

You have wet nose prints on the Windows hmm

poorbuthappy Wed 21-Oct-15 16:56:44

Yes yes to using the microwave as the only safe place to put any type of food if you want to return to it later on...

loveulotslikejellytots Wed 21-Oct-15 16:58:21

When your husband puts a bit of steak or a pack of chicken in the trolley for the dog when shopping on a Sunday, because he can't have the roast pork we're having.

When you go to change the bed and find it smothered in dog hair.

Agree about pulling dog poo bags out of every pocket, coat and bag.

financialwizard Wed 21-Oct-15 16:58:42

The sound of scrabbling feet when you say the word 'run' as opposed to groans from the kids.

Furry snuggles on the settee which leave muddy paw prints grin

knackered69 Wed 21-Oct-15 17:06:34

Buying a sofa throw that almost matches the dog. Ds2 ran upstairs saying "mum!!! Where's Daisy! " turns out she was camouflaged by the new sofa throw.

She isn't allowed on the sofa - oh no...blush

SteveBrucesNose Wed 21-Oct-15 17:21:53

You may as well have a 2 seater car as the back seat is permanently covered in little white hairs

You're now third down the list to be greeted when DH gets in, behind both dogs.

Even when on holiday you wake up at pee-time (6:15)

Poo bag holders attached to every handbag, even the posh ones.

You've given up trying to ever sit on the chaise long bit of the sofa.

ChairRider4 Wed 21-Oct-15 17:51:15

When you go for walk (well roll £) by river with the dog and as can't or don't want to go in .Dog decides to share it anyway and shakes all over you so look like you jumped in

PacificDogwod Wed 21-Oct-15 22:40:13

When the Worst Smell no longer emanates from DH or DSs grin

sparechange Wed 21-Oct-15 23:08:35

Can I suggest NONE of you look at the 'why don't you like animals' thread in chat...
Our pooches are stinky and gross, and so are we, apparently angrysadshock

Toughasoldboots Wed 21-Oct-15 23:09:38

It's a horrible thread spare, weirdos grin

insan1tyscartching Thu 22-Oct-15 21:55:50

When each time you go to town you end up in the pet shop to buy a toy for the dog because you know that he will be over the moon to see you on your return.
When you buy a slightly larger joint of beef or chicken than is necessary so that the dog gets to join us for Sunday lunch.
When you vacuum you check for his carefully hidden stash of treats in the corner of most rooms because you know he knows exactly what he's got stashed and where and he'd whine pitifully if any were missing.
When without exception dh and all the dc speak to the dog before they acknowledge my presence.

peasareevilcreatures Fri 23-Oct-15 09:43:26

When you have to guard your washing as you take it out of the machine because if one sock or pair of knickers hits the floor, in the blink of an eye its gone and you spend the next ten minutes chasing your dog around the garden trying to get it back.

My daughter wants to skype from uni just to talk to the dog!

orlakielyimnot Tue 27-Oct-15 20:34:56

That pet forum link is fab.
And I add the collection of dying/drying/withered little sluglettes that adhere to my dogs wool like hair and so sojourn to join us regularly in bed. My OH put his hands on a slimy one the other night, and I just collected one in a tissue to flush. Mmm.

CMOTDibbler Tue 27-Oct-15 20:49:44

You know a vast number of people by their dogs, or people know you because of your dogs
You go away and miss the warm snuffly body next to you in the evening

ScarlettInSpace Tue 27-Oct-15 20:58:26

I was clearing out my desk drawer last week and found a little pouch containing the 3 of jugdog's puppy teeth that I managed to salvage & keep blush I mean who keeps dog teeth ffs grin

Every weekday morning DH gets up before me, he lets the dog upstairs before he leaves for work - that half hour when he curls up with me before I get up is my favourite part of the day.

Oh and second PP who said when the house feels empty without them, it's very odd...

ScarlettInSpace Tue 27-Oct-15 20:59:42

Oh and when you go on holiday and miss the dog more than anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now