Does anyone have a Kokoni?

(18 Posts)
GinBunny Fri 02-Oct-15 14:56:58

I've recently discovered that my gorgeous rescue dog is a Kokoni, an ancient Greek breed. Not common in the UK by any stretch but quite well known in Eastern Europe apparently.

I'd love to know if anyone here has one so we can exchange tails tales about this lovely and little known breed.

GinBunny Fri 02-Oct-15 14:58:06

Not my dog but very similar looking!

GinBunny Fri 02-Oct-15 20:27:05

Shamelessly bumping for the night shift wink

Notmeagain1 Fri 02-Oct-15 21:00:05

Awwwww. What a gorgeous dog. I have seen these dog before, but never knew the breed. Wish I could help, but just wanted to comment on the beautiful animal and hope I dont forget what it is actually called.

What is your dogs name, and please post a picture of him.

GinBunny Fri 02-Oct-15 21:36:22

He is gorgeous NotMe! I am biased though. I've never seen the breed before and when we rescued him they didn't know what he was.

Here's a picture of my sleepy pooch <inserts heart emoji>

BagelwithButter Fri 02-Oct-15 23:10:25

I follow some dog rescues in Greece and Cyprus, so I've seen lots of similar dogs, but never realised it was an actual breed! Gorgeous smile

GinBunny Fri 02-Oct-15 23:40:59

I thought our pooch was a cross, it was a friend who knows someone who also has a Romanian rescue (I didn't mention that ours was from Romania did I?) that he finally got identified. Our vet said he looks like a Romanian dog cos he sees lots of rescues from there so I was surprised to find out he was an actual breed. He's got the most gorgeous nature, have googled it and he is pretty typical.
I don't even know how to pronounce Kokoni! Cockony comes easily but I'm not convinced that is right!

Malagnou44 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:22:26

Hi there, I rescued our little Kokoni from Cyprus when he was 6 months old. His name is Mikey (Mixalis) and he is the best little dog I've ever had. Such a privilege to have him in my life.

FuzzyFairy Sat 30-Jan-16 22:31:58

What gorgeous wee dogs! Never heard of them before either. They look spaniel-like are they as mad?

Malagnou44 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:49:26

Well my wee one is the sweetest, kindest little bundle of fluff. He has a hunting instinct, very loyal and protective of his mama and so cuddly. He has such a wonderful nature. Just magic.

CreepingDogFart Sun 31-Jan-16 07:47:25

I saw a dog like this in a Greek rescue centre and could never determine the breed. So gorgeous! Thankyou for sharing this.

GinBunny Wed 23-Mar-16 22:55:14

I didn't realise there were more comments, sorry for not replying. Malagnou your little man is gorgeous, and yy to the personality - mine too is very protective of me. And so good natured. Unless he sees a fox, cat, bus or bike. We're getting another in a couple of weeks, will post pics when we get her.

efammick0 Sun 22-May-16 07:15:39

Lily came into our lives when she, aged 8 weeks, followed my wife back to her hotel in Rhodes. She was so cute she could not be left behind. Bea, my wife contacted the local vet, and together they established that Lily had been abandoned.
Three weeks later Lily with pet passport, arrived in London.
Since then she has sailed from UK to the Canery Islands and back.
She is a fantasyic dog, everything it is said about the Kokina breed.
I hope more people rescue puppies from very uncertain lives in their home countries, and have the pleasure that we have had.
Good luck!

partystress Sun 22-May-16 16:37:24

Oh wow! Think this is what out little Romanian rescue girl is. Thought she was a Heinz!

carlsdad Fri 24-Jun-16 18:26:44

I have one I rescued from the shelter in San Diego, great little dog!

Larnie2015 Thu 15-Sep-16 20:38:39

Here is my rescue dog!! He found me last year in Cyprus while I was on holiday!! I have just found out his breed through this thread 😀

Sv2208 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:10:31

I've got a Kokoni he looks like an angel but he has a devilish little streak. So funny!

Purp1eSky Sat 19-Nov-16 15:13:08

This is Amelie our rescue dog from Cyprus. She has a wonderful nature - very loyal and just wants to play and be cuddled and go for long walks. I can't imagine life without her now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now