Dog caught a rabbit which i think was sick. Should i be worried?

(7 Posts)
cashewnutty Fri 25-Sep-15 16:58:09

Dog (Lab) chased a rabbit in our garden and caught it. I was in the garden and heard it squeal and immediately gave her the command to drop it which she did. I put her in the house and went to see if it was injured. I found it dead under a bush.

i used a bag to pull it out and could see it was unmarked but it''s eyes were tight shut, red and matted with pus. I suspect it was ill and blind which is why she caught it. They usually out run her.

Does anyone know what might have been wrong with this rabbit and if my dog might become ill from contact with it? Should i be making contact with the vet? I am worried about Myxomatosis in particular but i don't know much about it.

Thanks

mollie123 Fri 25-Sep-15 17:33:46

not suire about myxie in rabbits at the moment but did see one in my garden which was puffy around the eyes and slow-moving - also saw some that were fit and healthy
if your dog did eat it (sounds as if he didn't) he would be sick and vomit it up fur and all.
earlier this week I found my dog with a very dead rabbit in his mouth which he was savouring until I told him to drop it. was a bit off his food but 24 hours later was back to normal.
doesn't sound as if you should worry about it even if it was a myxie rabbit.

cashewnutty Fri 25-Sep-15 17:40:44

She didn't eat any of it. She dropped it immediately and it was all intact when i disposed of it.

CainInThePunting Fri 25-Sep-15 17:45:58

Our dogs used to catch Myxie rabbits and probably ate them too. It never crossed over but that was years ago. I doubt you will have a problem.

cashewnutty Fri 25-Sep-15 18:16:21

Thank you.

LumelaMme Fri 25-Sep-15 18:26:17

Another one saying it sounds like mixie and don't worry: I've lost count of the mixie rabbits my dogs have caught and they have never been ill as a consequence.

tabulahrasa Fri 25-Sep-15 18:49:45

Myxomatosis only affects rabbits, dogs can't catch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now