If you don't have a pedigree where did you get your dog?

(51 Posts)
JohnCusacksWife Sun 13-Sep-15 15:33:32

After losing our old dog we're beginning to consider whether (according to my husband) or when (according to me) we will get another dog. We'd both prefer a crossbreed, a young dog but not necessarily a puppy. Ideally, we'd love a rescue, like our old boy, but this doesn't look likely as the rescues near us have no suitable dogs or won't re home with children and the rescues that do have dogs are at the other end of the country. So.....where do we look? Not keen on things like Pets4Homes etc. I'd love to hear where you got your dog in case there's an avenue I'm missing.

BabyGanoush Sun 13-Sep-15 15:38:43

Friend of a (breeder) friend

Just spread the word. What sort of dogs do you like?

Mrsjayy Sun 13-Sep-15 15:45:39

Dogs trust but that is no good for you really unless you keep looking going to centres friend has street dogs im sure from romania they had the same as you. My neighbour ^has a not made it guide dog they are 2 when they go up for rehoming. Dds friend had a not made it sniffer dog its a bit loony though.

Mrsjayy Sun 13-Sep-15 15:46:38

Same problems as you*

2legit2knit Sun 13-Sep-15 15:46:54

Rescue.
You just have to keep trying if want a rescue, most rescues have a high turnover of dogs and puppies. You need to be calling and visiting regularly to get one that is suitable. I contacted loads of rescues when we were looking for our puppy and not one of them said they wouldnt rehome with children, individual dogs couldn't be put with children, but not a blanket 'no'.

Mrsjayy Sun 13-Sep-15 15:49:03

We just kept going to centers we had older children though

PacificDogwood Sun 13-Sep-15 15:50:13

Rescue here too.

Breed specific small rescue, who foster all their dogs out before rehoming. They know their dogs so well and will rehome the right dog in families with kids/cats/small furries etc.

Ours is a greyhound btw, I've never had a sighthound before and so far (4+ months) in to owning him, it's been fab. We got him aged 20 months, he's just turned 2 and in many ways is still a puppy grin

TrionicLettuce Sun 13-Sep-15 16:00:35

Smaller independent rescues can tend to be a bit more flexible with their rehoming criteria. There are also some rescues which have fosterers all over the country so it's worth looking at ones like that which may not necessarily be based locally to you.

There are plenty of people breeding all sorts of crosses but it's very difficult to find ones who are breeding with care, doing all appropriate health tests, raising the puppies well, offering lifetime back up, etc.

exLtEveDallas Sun 13-Sep-15 16:04:57

Many Tears Animal Rescue that have dogs all over the UK and will try to get them a bit closer to you if you ask. They rehome to homes with children and currently have 314 dogs that need their forever homes sad

www.manytearsrescue.org/dogslookingforhomes.php

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 13-Sep-15 16:10:22

Our Border Collie was a "free to good home" ad in the vets, which we saw when collecting our old dog's cremains. She was a failed sheepdog and came to us aged three, (so a reversal of the usual "she's gone to live on a farm" euphemism!) she's 16 now and has been a brilliant family pet.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 13-Sep-15 16:24:15

One was from Heathlands, he's a young spaniel (under a year old when we adopted him) and one from Many Tears, she was 8 weeks old.

Mrsjayy Sun 13-Sep-15 16:25:35

A man i know fosters greyhounds and whippets his own adoptees are brother and sister lurchers theyare 17 and plod along like two old dears they are adorable I always make a point of saying hello to the dogsman when i see him

OutToGetYou Sun 13-Sep-15 16:37:53

We foster through Labrador Rescue and we do the home checks too. As we know the dogs we can tell if they will be OK with kids, other dogs etc.
So talk to the local rescue coordinator and get to know them a bit.

StillRaving Sun 13-Sep-15 16:49:55

Result of accidental breeding ( we know mums owners, she was booked in to be spayed , but a friend brought her entire male on a walk , they didn't think he was old enough to mate.) So , happy accident. ( mum now spayed, our boy booked in to be castrated as soon as he's big enough.

JohnCusacksWife Sun 13-Sep-15 16:56:44

That's v interesting about Many tears being willing to perhaps meet halfway geographically. There's a dog there that I think might suit us v well but I'd kind of ruled them out as we'd probably struggle to get there.

PacificDogwood Sun 13-Sep-15 17:02:13

Darn this thread - it made me look at Many Tears. Again
DDD aka DearDaftDog is quite enough to be coping with just now, but so many puppies dogs looking for homes! sad

Good luck! I'm sure the hound for you is out there, John.

JohnCusacksWife Sun 13-Sep-15 17:07:28

What kind of dogs do we like? Medium sized, slim, smooth coated, floppy eared dogs! Not keen on v small dogs or fluffy coats. Not big into breeds of any kind - just prefer Heinz 57s (which, I'm discovering are thin on the ground!)

FiveHoursSleep Sun 13-Sep-15 17:21:06

We have a collie/GSD x and a husky/lab/ lots of other thingsX from Heathlands Animal Sanctuary.
I'd look at the smaller rescues too.

TrionicLettuce Sun 13-Sep-15 17:28:27

Medium sized, slim, smooth coated, floppy eared dogs!

Sounds like you need to be looking at lurcher rescues!! Sadly there's no shortage of lurchers (both adults and puppies) needing homes and there are quite a lot of dedicated rescues for them as well as them turning up frequently in all breed rescues.

Just off the top of my head there's Lurcher Link, Tia, Hounds First, Greyhound Gap (who have some absolute stunners in at the moment), EGLR, GRWE, Lurcher SOS and there's more I can't recall as well.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Sep-15 17:35:32

Sounds like you want one like my two, both podengo street dogs from Portugal - there's a charity here called secondhand fourfooters, who rescue dogs and bring them to the UK for adoption, might be worth contacting them

Scuttlebutter Sun 13-Sep-15 23:40:26

Another one here who'd recommend a lurcher. They come in lots of sizes and there are a number of very reputable rescues working in the field, and covering all the UK. Many of them are happy to adopt to families. We have a lurcher from EGLR (who I would always recommend) - she is smooth coated, quite small and stocky and has ears that do all kinds of things!

nooka Sun 13-Sep-15 23:48:02

This is where I'd love to adopt from if we were still in the UK: houndsfirst.co.uk/

They are a sight dog rescue organisation, with foster homes all over the place. It does sound like a lurcher might suit you very well.

Mitzi50 Sun 13-Sep-15 23:54:33

Ddog1 from Retired Greyhound Trust. Ddog2 from a local rescue. With both we let the rescue pick the dog suitable for our circumstances (had to wait a few weeks before being contacted about ddog2)

Bubble2bubble Mon 14-Sep-15 07:39:31

Black Retriever X re home all over the country and if the dog is suitable have no problem placing one with children.

BabyGanoush Mon 14-Sep-15 07:47:44

Lurchers are great

Ours is a smooth haired one

So calm in the house, so loving, sweetest nature. Lots of people/kids who are worried about dogs don't mind her as she does not jump or bark. She likes to be close to my kids, and lies by their side when they come home from school. Funny gentle affectionate thing she is.

I could only have lurchers now

Also, they are beautiful grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now