Limping on hind leg - what to do?

(10 Posts)
basildonbond Sat 29-Aug-15 21:18:12

Ddog (2 year old Toller) was playing with a very bouncy lab this morning - at one point the lab body slammed ddog, he cried and was reluctant to put his hind foot down. I put a stop to the game and rested ddog and he seemed to be fine but he's started limping again this evening sad

I've given him some previcox which he's been prescribed in case he has any pain from his hip (he has mild dysplasia on the other side) and will rest him in the morning. Is there anything else I should be doing bearing in mind it's bank holiday weekend?

SirVixofVixHall Sat 29-Aug-15 21:20:49

I would take him to the OOH vet if he is still limping tomorrow. Or if it is only slight then rest him until Tuesday.

basildonbond Sun 30-Aug-15 09:42:12

Hmmm he's very quiet - still limping but is putting the foot down

I don't want to take him to the emergency vet unless I really have to as they charge a fortune just to set foot in the place and the main vet completely mis-diagnosed my cat when he was in there last year so don't have 100% confidence in them ...

Floralnomad Sun 30-Aug-15 11:05:47

I would wait until Tuesday for the vet .My dog had a limp earlier this year ( front leg) and after X-rays it was deemed to be a soft tissue injury and took 6 weeks of no walks to resolve , that was a few months ago and he's been fine until this morning when he has come back from our walk with a distinct limp ! He's now resting in the armchair waiting to watch the Athletics .

tabulahrasa Sun 30-Aug-15 12:41:11

If he's using it and you can't find anything by poking and prodding I'd just rest him and see how he is when your vet is open.

daisydotandgertie Sun 30-Aug-15 22:17:41

The vet's likely to recommend crate rest or similar for a few days; if it were one of mine, I'd do that with pain relief and visit the vet if there was no improvement after say three days.

basildonbond Mon 31-Aug-15 11:01:59

He's much better this morning (phew) so I took him for a short lead walk with no problems

I'll keep him fairly quiet for a couple more days just in case but it doesn't look like anything serious

Thanks for all the advice- he's a big wuss so it's hard to tell if he's really hurt or just making a fuss...

Floralnomad Mon 31-Aug-15 11:04:24

Snap ! Mines also not limping this morning so has been allowed a short lead walk , my DS says our dog is attention seeking !

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 31-Aug-15 13:39:29

My old boy slipped down a grass bank and couldn't put any weight on his front leg. Took him to the vet who diagnosed a simple dislocated shoulder and popped it back in. He could just about walk on it but it must have been agony. Please take your dog to the vet if you're not sure.

moosemama Mon 31-Aug-15 15:10:59

Late to the thread. Glad he's feeling better.

We had a similar dilemma with Pip this weekend. He lost it cornering at stupid mph chasing Lurcherboy on Saturday, back end went down and he landed hard on his offside hip, then went lame afterwards. He was really stiff and sore, not keen to walk on it, but still using it albeit stiffly. We gave him pain relief and rest with just a short lead walk on Sunday and he's fine this morning.

If I took him the emergency vet every time he pranged himself we'd be there every weekend, but I've gradually learned what is and isn't likely to be serious with him and when to watch and wait vs rushing him in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now