Dog Leads - What is most important when buying dog accessories - Price or quality and durability?

(7 Posts)
jahm1976 Wed 19-Aug-15 21:58:41

Hi everyone,

We are in the early stages of setting up a new online venture selling dog training products and accessories online. The main questions we are looking to have answered are 1) the name of our brand - do you like it and 2) what is most important when buying dog accessories a) price or b) quality and durability.

If you had time to take our very short survey (link below) we would really appreciate it!

www.surveymonkey.com/r/TrainMyHound

Please feel free to pass on to any friends - any help with this is appreciated.

John

Shhhh Fri 21-Aug-15 22:02:37

Neither, I go off how the lead / accessory looks !
I wanted a sparkly glitter lead , ended up buying them from USA.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 21-Aug-15 22:37:32

Functionality. Prefer training style leads that I can change the length. It needs to be soft so if it rubs through my hands I don't get friction burns. It needs to be easy care, washable and dry quickly. I like the dogmatic leads but hate the dog pattern on them, something with a more stylish/bold pattern (that my dh likes too!) would be nice.

Floralnomad Sat 22-Aug-15 10:19:10

For leads I buy for function , with collars I buy for comfort as my dog wears his collar all the time ,but it is not used for walking him as he has a harness . Personally I wouldn't buy a leather collar or lead .

MaitlandGirl Sat 22-Aug-15 11:12:26

I buy Rogz or Lupine collars & leads.

I need a lead that's long enough for a toy breed but can be knotted to shorten it for heel walking.

I look for collars with easy snap clasp rather than buckles and that are soft enough not to tangle long/soft fur on the neck. I also need a collar that's bright enough to show through the thick ruff on the neck.

For my pitbull I need a lead that's strong enough to deal with all the strength in his shoulders but is long enough for him to be able to have a good sniff while still under full control.

With his collar it needs to be wide enough not to choke him if he tugs on his lead and strong enough not to snap if he pulls really hard.

I prefer collars & leads with reflective stitches and the collars need to be soft enough to wear all day.

With harnesses I prefer 'step through' rather than 'H' style and for the pitbull with a lock on the snap clasp so it doesn't break open if he pulls. I'm not fussed on patterns but a choice in colours is great as it's easier to identify which lead goes with which dog and for each type of use. Cost isn't an issue, if it's the right collar / lead for the role I'll buy it.

MaitlandGirl Sat 22-Aug-15 11:16:44

With your survey it asks whether you're in the U.S. / UK or other (please specify) but it won't allow you to just select other.

To continue with the survey I had to select UK and then Australia (where I actually live) in the 'other' box.

jahm1976 Wed 26-Aug-15 13:50:34

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and feedback I really appreciate it. We hope to be live in the new year of 2016.

John

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now