11 month puppy to rough for daycare

(13 Posts)
MakingBaking Wed 05-Aug-15 20:24:14

Hi, We have an 11 month old GSDX. He's been going to daycare sessions about 6 times a month since he was around 7 months. At first he was praised on his fantastic recall and attention and he played really well with the other dogs. Lately, we're being told that he's been getting told off by other dogs for being too rough and two weeks ago he got in a fight and got bit because he wouldn't stop pesturing a dog to play with him. He doesn't seem to have transferred this lesson to other interactions. She's tried putting him on his lead to calm him which works temporarily but he gradually gets bouncy and rough again. He's labrador sized and can just about play ok with these buteven these dogs don't want to play all day and then he gets told off.

Seperately, he has run off after small dogs (to play) on two occasions and she's been unable to recall him, which has got the dog walker in trouble from the other owner. He's never really done this with me. He does occasionally chase after another dog or run up to them (If I've not managed to interrupt the behaviour) but we're working on it and I can always get him back pretty quickly.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience did your dog calm down? Did you pull a dog out of daycare and re-introduce them when s/he was older?

TheHoundsBitch Wed 05-Aug-15 20:51:25

My dog is exactly like this, unfortunately we haven't solved it yet so she is on lead most of the time at the moment because she will jump up at people too hmm

TheHoundsBitch Wed 05-Aug-15 20:59:34

Oops, posted too early.
I am working on getting her to sit and wait next to me while other dogs pass and o ly allow her to greet other dogs when they have explicitly approached her or the owner has invited it. She's very bull headed though so it's taking for ever. Wrt the rough play I jump in and remove her as soon as she looks like she's going to piss off the dog and lead her away. I could do with some more ideas as well!

MakingBaking Wed 05-Aug-15 23:19:50

Well I'm glad I'm not alone!
He is near perfect when I have a toy in my hand. He will sit and let a dog come right up to him sniffing his bum but he'll just glance at it and then back at me and the toy. But with no toy he is less reliable. He's not much interested in food outside of the house.

How old is your dog?

TheHoundsBitch Thu 06-Aug-15 09:42:37

She's a year, not as focused as yours by the sounds of it - playing with another dog is the best thing in the world to her so no food or toy is high value enough so distract her a lot of the time!

TheHoundsBitch Thu 06-Aug-15 09:43:23

If you live near watfird we could get hem together to burn off some of the crazy grin

TheHoundsBitch Thu 06-Aug-15 09:44:04

*Watford

MakingBaking Thu 06-Aug-15 10:15:49

Aw I was thinking of getting them together too! But I'm up in Scotland sad

There's still hope yet then, a year is still quite young, maybe it's a teen phase?! I'm hoping they'll mellow out with time!

My friend has a Springer who was pretty dog centric when young but at some point she suddenly started ignoring them. Fingers crossed!!!

TheHoundsBitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:26:13

Aww, shame! I think it is a bit of a teen phase, ddog was really good for a couple of months and then seems to regress hmm
I've tried to get her into chasing the ball but she just chases after it and then runs past it. Doofus. I should have got a labrador confused

emummy Thu 06-Aug-15 12:19:21

Ha! I have a Labrador! Only had her 3 weeks , she is nearly 2. I would have said she would do anything for her tennis ball but after a horrific day in the park yesterday it is clear that footballs trump tennis balls! Nearly dislocated my shoulder trying to keep her out of a kids' football game. Stick with the GSD!

MakingBaking Fri 07-Aug-15 10:35:57

Walked Dpup last night and all was fine until we got to the end where I put him on lead. He was ok, still focusing on the toys but was distracted by another dog showing up and the rabbit smell that he usually tracks in that spot. If I hadn't got him on lead already he would definitely have run off, I had to drag him out of the field. Felt like such a crap owner but I don't know what else I could have done. He was completely unresponsive. I think I'm going to stock up on steak or hotdogs and break them out in these situations as a last ditch attempt and focussing him! Darn teenagers!

I always thought Labs would be easier because of their obsession with food!
What breed do you have, Hound?

Whoknowswhocares Fri 07-Aug-15 12:30:43

I'm afraid the daycare is almost certainly what is causing your pup to become obsessed with other dogs and unresponsive to you. the more a young pup has the opportunity for rough play, the more they hone their play fighting skills, gain in confidence doing so and develop an obsession with other dogs that is VERY VERY hard for a mere human to compete with, even with steak and sausage!

At 7 months he would have been tolerated more by the older dogs and not corrected for his overly boisterous play. Of course now he is older, they will tell him off and not all dogs will do so gently. Plus, after several months of practising his skills by playing, your dog could very easily also spill over into aggression. An accident waiting to happen I'm afraid, especially if he runs up to a dog aggressive dog

I would definitely pull him out of daycare if he were mine and longline him to prevent rough play/running up to other dogs while working on his recall. Work on developing some fun and games he can have with you instead whilst out and prevent all rough and tumble/chase etc with other dogs indefinitely. Ideally you want to aim for him to be ambivalent about other dogs and that will not be sorted by maturity alone.

TheHoundsBitch Fri 07-Aug-15 18:24:14

She's a Stripey Tripehound grin She's a proper mongrel, but the strongest traits seem to be bully and houndy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now