What size frontline to get? (& best online place to get it from)

(8 Posts)
Penguinandminipenguin Tue 28-Jul-15 12:47:22

Staying at my mums atm and her dog has fleas so I'm looking to buy some frontline. Can't get to the pets@home to get it atm, so can't ask their advice. Looking online it seems it goes by weight of the dog, but I have no idea what he weighs! He's a lurcherxcollie so he's quite tall, but super skinny...does anyone know what size treatment he would need? Also, any recommendations on the best place online to buy from?

TIA!

CMOTDibbler Tue 28-Jul-15 13:02:08

My very bony lurcher is 20kg, so you'll def need the 20-40kg size Frontline.
Though if you can go to their vets, Stronghold or Advocate is much better than Frontline ime

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 28-Jul-15 13:05:50

It does need to be done by weight. Purely as a guide, my lurcher weighs 24kg and he has the 20-40kg dose. This is him, having a lunchtime snooze.

woollybean Tue 28-Jul-15 15:21:02

Don't know the dosage off the top of my head but with regards to where to buy it from, I find Viovet.co.uk is usually the cheapest and I use them for all my dogs (many) medical needs.
Beautiful dog Harriet BTW!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 28-Jul-15 16:38:02

I would get something other than Frontline, it is becoming less and less effective against fleas. Can you get Advocate without prescription, if you can I would try that instead.

bakingtins Tue 28-Jul-15 16:41:38

You can't get advocate without prescription but you can get Advantage, which has the same flea-killing ingredient without the wormer. If the dog has fleas you need to treat for tapeworms anyway ( which advocate doesn't) so get Drontal as well, and you also need to treat the environment with Indorex/ Acclaim/ Nuvan Staykill.

bakingtins Tue 28-Jul-15 16:42:35

Can you weigh yourself, then you lifting the dog, to get a rough idea what he weighs?

TheoriginalLEM Tue 28-Jul-15 16:47:31

Don't get frontline, the fleas have developed resistance to it. It is worse in some areas than others. It simply doesn't work for us. Advocate is prescription only, can you get the dog to a vets for the nurse to examine and buy that? it is £££ but it works. You can get it online but you'll need a prescription which is about £8 so might not be worth bothering

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now