Big and smaller dog

(18 Posts)
Araminta49 Fri 17-Jul-15 12:36:33

Hi all , we have a 5 year old spayed boxer bitch - she is friendly and fairly submissive with other dogs .
We would like a French Bulldog in addition , but not sure how owning 2 different sized dogs may work , length of walks , personalities etc . Have only ever owned boxers , and grew up with them too.

Also would a dog or bitch be best?
Many thanks for any comments or opinions .

tabulahrasa Fri 17-Jul-15 13:23:23

I don't know much about character traits of French bulldogs...but as they are still bulk breeds, I can't see them being hugely incompatible.

There's no reason they'd need different length walks though, smaller dogs don't need less exercise.

Opposite sexes is usually recommended, they tend to put up with each other a bit better, though it shouldn't be a huge issue if your dog currently shows no preference either way.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 17-Jul-15 17:38:21

We have a female border collie and a small male sprocker spaniel, they suit each other well because even though he is smaller than her his energy levels are very similar. A friend has a retriever and a border terrier, both boys and they do well together too.

tomatodizzymum Fri 17-Jul-15 17:48:17

we have a labrador and a chihuahua. I was worried about the little one at first because he was only 8 weeks when we got him and 6 month old bumble pawed lab wanted to play. They soon figured out how to play with each other (little sits on bigs head and they tumble that way). As for walks, little legs cannot keep up, so he comes along and then I either carry him or he climbs into the buggy with my son. A french bulldog should be able to handle as much walks though, I would think.

TheCunnyFunt Fri 17-Jul-15 17:52:59

I know of a greyhound that lives with a chihuahua grin they cope just fine on walks as far as I know!

Araminta49 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:46:22

Oh good , positive thoughts , thanks . Anyone own a Frenchie ? Are they quite serious dogs in general , or funny?
Does anyone own a big and small dog , where the little one is dominant and bossy?

SmokyJoe Sat 18-Jul-15 06:33:22

I've got 2 dogue de Bordeauxs so not small dogs. My mums French bulldog comes over to play a fair bit, there's never really been a problem until the French Bulldogs stubbornness kicks in. My mums frenchie thinks it's Bordeaux size which is a issue with other dogs however in my experience there little dogs with a big dog inside of them grin

StarsInTheNightSky Sat 18-Jul-15 09:13:05

We've had two frenchies in the past, they were both wonderful, happy little souls, very fun loving. Your sitation sounds like it would work well. I would personally so for a male, but as others have said either would probably work. No, none of the small dogs I've ever had with big dogs have been allowed to be bossy, that wouldn't be tolerated by the bigger dogs, but I have mostly had dogs with short fuses.
I would definitely have another, DH actually is trying to persuade me at the minute but we have three giant breed, highly aggressive dogs so I've said no.

villainousbroodmare Sat 18-Jul-15 09:56:14

I have a male Irish setter (superactive) and we had a young Pekingese bitch stay with us for the last 4 months (she's just gone home). For the first few weeks we carried her for part of our walk, much to her disgust, but as she became fitter and wrigglier, carrying was abandoned. She wouldn't have covered quite the same ground as the setter but they ran together very happily.

LadyLardArse Sat 18-Jul-15 10:12:54

Op are you me?grin
We are in exactly the same situation at you apart from our boxer boy is 1...have always had boxers but would LOVE a frenchiesmile
So I have no advice really...just place markingwink

NotKissingTipsy Sat 18-Jul-15 10:42:22

I have a big black lab & a french bulldog , both are male , they are inseparable &have been from day one .

My lab is a very gentle soul although can be completely barmy at times, he was only 7 months old when we got our Frenchie which may have helped bonding as they were both very playful .

We did have to keep an eye on play times as the lab was so much bigger but frenchies are huge characters that will give as good as they get !!

It's a fantastic combo IMO , frenchies are fantastic dogs , cheeky & comical but also very clever & family orientated .

I love love love large breed dogs but my heart has been stolen by a comical little piggy grin !

NotKissingTipsy Sat 18-Jul-15 10:48:12

These are my boys , this pic was taken 2 days after piggy arrived .

He still likes to be touching Rosco when they are sleeping & follows him everywhere .

Araminta49 Sat 18-Jul-15 22:37:03

Gorgeous dogs , ooh think I wil go for it soon ......

SevenAteNine Tue 21-Jul-15 10:14:23

I have a mastiff cross. He weighs 70kgs.

Currently staying with my dad, who has a 6kg Chihuahua/JRT cross. The little dog is the boss.

It really depends on the dog. It can be fine, but you really need them to try together.

MaitlandGirl Wed 22-Jul-15 06:06:23

We've got a pit bull cross (living with my in laws) and a papillon so a bit of a weight difference.

The pap is most definitely in charge, even at the in laws house. Our poor boy isn't even allowed to lie on his own bed when we're there as the pap just glares at him whenever he tries! Unless the cat is around, in which case she's in charge :D

noddingoff Fri 24-Jul-15 15:07:35

Vet here, we have lots of clients with different sized dogs and it generally works fine.
Frenchies usually have great personalities.
Make sure you get it insured with life cover (not a 12 month policy) and a high limit though. They are a lot more prone than the average mutt to eye problems, upper respiratory problems, knee problems and back problems - all of which may require surgery. Also skin allergies which can generally be managed - often expensively-but not cured. There are no available health tests for a lot of these things and just because the pup's mum looks OK doesn't mean the pup will be OK. Often breeders don't keep contact with the buyers of all of their previous pups for all of their lives so won't know if, for example, they were euthanased due to becoming paralysed with a back problem at a young age. ( I have seen this in a top show dog that had won at loads of shows - so it's not just a problem of "backyard breeder" dogs).
You can improve the odds a bit by buying one from parents with decent wide nostrils, a bit of muzzle as opposed to a completely flat face, eyes that aren't too sticky-outy, and some tail as opposed to a tiny deformed stub or just a dent where the tail should be.

Araminta49 Tue 18-Aug-15 15:12:50

Thank you very much , especially for breed info . Still not 100% decided .

frenchiepup Wed 19-Aug-15 08:31:36

Hi. We have a french bulldog puppy. He gets on great with all dogs especially our parents gsds, he will play with them all day. He wouldn't be able to walk the distance they can until he is fully grown but im sure he won't have a problem. He is definitely not a serious dog! And I'm not a little dog person but he acts like a big dog! Definitely research the breaders so many (even kc registered) in it for the money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now