aaaah puppy won't let me remove tick from his face.

(20 Posts)
Joolly2 Sun 28-Jun-15 14:49:07

Any suggestions on how I can remove it? Every time I try he goes wild. I am just not strong enough to hold him still/down. He is 10 months old and usually happy to let me mess with him.

mrslaughan Sun 28-Jun-15 15:01:37

I would say you need to enlist the help of a friend, preferably someone he knows!

CoogerAndDark Sun 28-Jun-15 15:03:12

Is there anyone who can help you by holding him securely or wielding the tick remover while you hold him?
If not, it's going to have to be a trip to the vet's.

chickenfuckingpox Sun 28-Jun-15 15:05:02

how big a puppy is he small and squirmy? big and burley?

Joolly2 Sun 28-Jun-15 15:07:07

He is a very strong beagle.

Carpaccio Sun 28-Jun-15 15:07:08

I agree with getting someone to help.

You could try the method in the video with the dog behaviorist found in this thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/2411659-Nail-clipping-hell-whats-best
Long term it is great to be able to poke and prod the dog if you need to (removing ticks, checking teeth, giving eye or ear drops and so on).

Alternatively maybe some really good treats will make him let you do it. Using the O'Tom tick remover tool shouldn't take too long or be too fiddly.

Your vet or the nurses might also be able to help. They might charge a small fortune though.

Joolly2 Sun 28-Jun-15 15:11:48

Trouble is I am going to have to learn how to do it. I can't go to the vets every time, there must be a clever way I haven't tried. We have just gone through a packet of treats. He's happy and I a very hot and bothered. The tick is sitting pretty.

CordeliaFoxx Sun 28-Jun-15 15:12:03

Use a cotton ball with liquid soap on, the tick will remove itself. You can do it while making a fuss of him, no stress

chickenfuckingpox Sun 28-Jun-15 15:13:18

can you muzzle him? or would that cover the area where the tick is? sounds like he is anxious be careful anxiety leads to nipping sometimes

does he sit when on a lead at all? might be worth putting him on the lead sat down then trying?

ive never removed a tick but to trim my spaniel dogs ears i used to put the lead on her and she would be calm if i didnt it would be like trying to trim a bucking bronco!

CordeliaFoxx Sun 28-Jun-15 15:16:03

Sorry, swab the tick with the liquid soap in a cotton wool ball for about 20 seconds, the tick will then come away whole with it.

Joolly2 Sun 28-Jun-15 15:30:36

Thank you everyone, CordeliaFoxx you are a genius. It worked like magic. flowers.

Carpaccio Sun 28-Jun-15 15:43:23

For next time, use the tick removal tool to avoid any potential issues.
www.bada-uk.org/correct-tick-removal (see myth 3)

CordeliaFoxx Sun 28-Jun-15 15:59:25

Glad it worked, i do it for my 2 when they get ticks

CordeliaFoxx Sun 28-Jun-15 16:05:24

Carpaccio it is far more likely that in a wriggly puppy you will end up squashing the tick or leaving its head in (both have happened to me when using removal tools). This way is quick and easy and doesn't stress the dog out.

Joolly2 Sun 28-Jun-15 16:06:49

Carpaccio I have a tick tool and have used it successfully on his underbelly and legs in the past. However puppy would not let me near his face and put up quite a fight. Thank you for the link, I've had a look. Tick removal appears to be a bit of a mine field. I don't think I could have removed it any other way on my own. Fingers crossed he won't have any side effects.

CoogerAndDark Sun 28-Jun-15 16:12:59

Glad it's out. grin at the whole packet of treats and happy Beagle.

DunelmDoris Sun 28-Jun-15 20:02:31

Can I suggest you use something for preventing ticks, if it's this much of a nightmare to remove them? Advantix or Seresto would be best.

Please don't use a cotton bud with soap. The BADA link already posted explains why that's a really bad idea.

Lovepancakes Sun 28-Jun-15 20:14:19

I'm glad it's out. And recommend that BADA website too as one of our DC had Lyme disease and we are now ultra careful checking for ticks every night and removing safely. Latest was on 3 year old's eyelid but he understood keeping still in a way a puppy can't!

excitedmamma Sun 28-Jun-15 20:22:03

We used to put olive oil on the tick which killed it.....

DunelmDoris Sun 28-Jun-15 21:54:59

RTFT excited, and the links!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now