Is this dog safe to be around children

(7 Posts)
MoseShrute Tue 16-Jun-15 18:22:56

My friend's dp has just bought a staffie. I think it's 2 and has come from a family not a rescue home. I have met the dog and it was soppy, eager and very friendly. I am not a dog person in any way but I didn't feel threatened by it.
Friend tells me yesterday that the dog killed a sheep at the weekend. Her dp was very upset and thought he ought to have the dog pts, however when he discussed it with his vet, the vet said it was natural and didn't in any way mean the dog was more likely to bite a child. Is this correct? My dd often plays at my friend's house. Should I be worried?

MoseShrute Tue 16-Jun-15 18:40:54

Anyone?

weaselwords Tue 16-Jun-15 18:46:32

I'm pretty sure that hunting other animals is not related to aggression towards people. Good job, as my weimaraner is a great killer of ducks, squirrels and pigeons so we'd all be dead by now! Dog will probably be fine with kids.

I'm quite horrified it killed a sheep though so understand why it's owner took it to be pts. Killing livestock is a massive deal and your friend needs to be so careful from now on that it never happens again.

MoseShrute Tue 16-Jun-15 18:57:24

Thanks.
I know I should be reassured by the vet but nonetheless it's concerning.

EasyToEatTiger Tue 16-Jun-15 20:20:06

The dog should be fine around people. If the dog has killed a sheep it will not be safe around livestock and should always be kept on a lead where livestock live. It is very dangerous for livestock to be upset by dogs, and very dangerous for dogs as they may well be shot.

bippityboppitypoo Tue 16-Jun-15 20:30:29

It depends what you mean by "around" I am a STB owner but regardless of breed I would never fully trust any dog "around" my children. During the day my dog is kept in the kitchen and garden away from them.

I'm not saying they never come in contact, we let them pet her and they come on walks with us and the dog but they're never alone with the dog, or without supervision.

This is mostly for the dogs sanity - they would harass her otherwise.

As long as you're aware and conscientious (which obviously you are from posting this thread) I wouldn't worry to much directly about the sheep incident and your child.

villainousbroodmare Tue 16-Jun-15 21:01:15

Hmmm, I'd say this dog should be assessed carefully. It's probably irrelevant to its relationship with people but it obviously has a strong prey drive and that means it is likely to pursue and possibly bite a creature it perceives to be fleeing or exhibiting panicky behaviour. Plus it takes a fair bit of tooth application to kill a sheep. I wouldn't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now