Dog having surgery today

(12 Posts)
SnottySundays Wed 06-May-15 07:47:52

My lovely greyhound is having an operation today. She's having some teeth out, a scale and polish and a dental abscess sorted out. My poor darling girl. I'm feeling so scared, she has a heart murmur too and I can't shake the thought she might not be OK. She's been my friend for so long, she literally saved me when we were going through years of fertility treatment.

Sniff. Right, must pull self together <fails miserably >

BabyGanoush Wed 06-May-15 07:53:33

good luck. Let us know how she gets on.

the vet will look after her brilliantly I am sure.

hugs and licks from my lurcher girl and me.

These hounds are so gentle, they should not have to go through this sort of stuff!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 06-May-15 07:57:14

indeed you must pull yourself together smile She will be fine. There is a risk with all anaesthetic but the vets will be monitoring closely. You can opt for pre anaesthetic blood screening that would highlight any other risks that can then be managed accordingly.

Dental work isn't as invasive as say abdominal surgery so the anaesthetic will be "lighter" so not so deeply asleep as for more invasive surgery.

she will be monitored throughout and any problems they will wake her up.

of course you will worry but tonight your dogs mouth will feel so much better and you'll not even know shes been asleep.

DoristheNovice Wed 06-May-15 09:43:32

Just remember you're doing it for her own good. She'll feel so much better when it's done.

Just keep picturing the moment you go and pick her up flowers

Let us know how she gets on.

SnottySundays Wed 06-May-15 12:16:18

Thanks all. I know they'll look after her, and thanks for the objective view LEM .
I also know she needs it doing, she was in such pain over the weekend, poor thing. She never normally complains.
They've told me to ring at 2 to see how she's doing and I've been out to get her some chicken for tonight, lucky hound.

SnottySundays Wed 06-May-15 14:31:27

She's OK apparently, coming round slowly and still very sleepy from the anaesthetic. She's had "quite a few" teeth out, not sure what that means yet. I can go and pick her up early this evening.

Am looking forward to a gentle greyhound cuddle...

Fudgeface123 Wed 06-May-15 16:38:09

See, everything's OK. Lots of snuggles later :-)

FiveHoursSleep Wed 06-May-15 17:27:08

Glad to hear she's okay. Enjoy your cuddles tonight.

chickensaresafehere Wed 06-May-15 17:40:23

My old grey girl (10) has had her teeth scaled twice now & she has heart murmur.
I'm not sure,but think they don't put them under as deeply when they have a murmur,she has always been fine,but abit slobbery afterwards smile
She hasn't many good teeth left,to be honest,greys are well known for their poor dental health!!
She'll be fine,but I know that doesn't stop you worrying.

SnottySundays Wed 06-May-15 19:01:34

She's home smile

She had 17 teeth out shock and is a bit wobbly and looks a bit miserable, but has wolfed down a bowl of boiled chicken and rice as if she had been starved for a week.

Feeling quite poor though now- nearly £500 for that lot! <hopes insurance pays out>

TheoriginalLEM Wed 06-May-15 21:34:52

17 teeth? poor girl, does she have any left? wink Am sure she will be better soon.

SnottySundays Thu 07-May-15 10:07:15

grin LEM there are some still in there, and very white and sparkly they are now too!

She seems to have had a comfortable night and has a day of rest and peace and quiet ahead of her, as well as more chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now